Menu
If Emmons were a Chinese athlete...
Aug 19, 2008 04:10
  • BBQQ
After Liu Xiang quit, he has become the controversy.People have discussed if he should quit heatedly. This reminds me of Emmons, the unluckiest shooter. Suddenly, a question popped up in my mind: If Emmons were a Chinese athlete, what would Chinese fans react when he lost two medals? Will he be criticized badly? Will he become another Li Ning?

Li Ning's story: At Los Angeles Olympics, he won 3 gold medals, 2 silver medals and 1 bronze medal. Four years later in Seoul, he was totally a loser (in many Chinese eyes) because he won nothing due to his poor performances. When he got back to China, he became the target of criticism. Some reports even used "shameless" to describe Li Ning. In Beijing, he even feared to go to the bank because he was afraid of being scolded. Some people even mailed the blade and the rope to Li Ning (they want Li Ning to suicide).

Li Ning.

Aug 19, 2008 20:06
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I have not even seen one article here talking about Emmons. Maybe I have to dig before I can even find one. You see, most people here couldn’t care less what happened to him. And most people here know that shit happens. Most are open-minded. Athletes are just like us. They can make mistakes, too. I don’t know anything about Li Ning but I think that was mean what some people did to Li Ning. How can people be so cruel? I hope he is ok.
Aug 19, 2008 21:41
  • JIMMYB
SHESGOTTOBE, it is lucky for Emmons to be born in US. If he was in China, he would have a miserable time after Athens. Maybe, he wouldn't have the chance to shoot at Beijing Olympics. Most Chinese fans just enjoy the successes. As for failure, they can't bear it. They really need to grow up.
Aug 20, 2008 03:39
  • ZANG
Well, I'm not here to jump into a debate
Most of my friends think it's a pity that Liu quits. But that's all.
There is "heated" discussion in all kinds of media, but that's the way the media behave all the time.
Statistic records do not always tell the real situations. But there came to a conclusion that all Chinsese are full of shame at Liu's quit, only looking at the opinions appeared in the media.

Most Chinese are temperate and modest. They are engaged in their own work and lives, and do not sell their opinions here and there. But you can't expect a complete silent China, considering it has a population of 13 billion.
Aug 20, 2008 20:18
  • BBQQ
Zang, if all Chinese are as calm as you, that is good. Well, people's reaction to Liu Xiang's quit did reflect something and we should think about it carefully. In this age of materialism, we only pay our attention to these athletes who won the gold medals. If you watch TV, you will find that almost all reports are about those champions. After winning a gold medal, the athlete will be known to everyone. He/she also can get a great deal of money. People seldom care about the atheltes who won he second and third prices let alone those who failed to claim any medals. They have been training as hard as the gold medalist but they can't hear people's applause. The only thing we care about is the gold medals and gold medal rankings. How sad it is!

Here I just raised the questions and haven't given my answer. Mine is similar as Jimmyb's. When can we free ourselves from the gold medal rankings?
Aug 20, 2008 23:19
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"SHESGOTTOBE, it is lucky for Emmons to be born in US. If he was in China, he would have a miserable time after Athens. Maybe, he wouldn't have the chance to shoot at Beijing Olympics. Most Chinese fans just enjoy the successes. As for failure, they can't bear it. They really need to grow up."

I don't have any idea if Emmons is being bashed in China but I can tell for certain that he isn't the topic here in America. The only coverage about him is the story about how he and his wife met and got married. Americans are not really affected by his failure at all. However, I can tell that some foreigners are obsessed with his failure. LOL!
Aug 21, 2008 06:25
  • APAULT
A good question BBQQ...when can we rid ourselves of the medal rankings> nation alism is fine, but I believe we take it too far. If we are serious about sport, we should not care who wins, only that we see a great contest, and great achievements.
Aug 21, 2008 20:57
  • ZANG
hi BBQQ
indeed I'm extremely excited about the game and I really enjoy it. After all, there is a chance in a hundred years that beijing may have to hold the Summer Olympic Games.

You mentioned watching TV, so i suppose you have a good command of Chinese and have read a lot about Chinese Athlete. I don't think there is any problem about the covery of gold medal winners. They deserve it. It took them four year or more to go up to the stage. During the process, they spend more then the time could say, such as health, income, family, etc. Meanwhile, I do agree with you that the cctv has gone a little too far on the covery of the game, especially when i saw the sorry-looking athletes in other cheerful winnners' video again and again.

And I do think we should give more attention to those who did not got a good result. But not now. We don't have enough time and most of all, i guess the "loser" (do forgive me to use this word) wouldn't appreciate your report of their failure as well. Maybe you will doubt "How do you know what the fish think if you are not?" (really chinglish)
Consider what Liu Xiang experienced these days. The public do give plenty attention to an athlete who did not get an award in the bejing olympics, but do you think Liu will appreciate it?

It has been said that most of the Chinese athletes attend the training team at their early age, and the only thing they do is training, training, and training, cherishing the hope that they will be amply awarded one day. They accepted the fact that only the winner will be awarded when they joined the team. (Forget China soccer team men). So every big gmae is a chance to get this award they expect many years. But winners are always the minority. they know, we know.

Aug 21, 2008 22:00
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"When can we free ourselves from the gold medal rankings?"

The reality is that many people are obsessed when it comes to medal counts. We see it everywhere, people arguing who has more gold or more medals and then who has more gold/more medals per capita/per population. What the heck!?!

Paralympics is coming. What’s next? Who has the most medals based on disabled population? I can’t wait to see arguments where it says, ‘My country has less disabled people so we have more medals per disabled person.’ Wahahaha!!!

Kids, I tell you.

I think the Olympics is about different countries coming together. Maybe I am being forgetful but this is the only event where the whole world comes together. Humans are social animals. We have the urge to connect. We had to gather, and if we are gonna come together, we might as well do something. It’s not like we can just stare at each other for 2 weeks. We decided it can’t be for wars since we are having them non-stop anyway, so we settled for sports. O_o
Post a Reply to: If Emmons were a Chinese athlete...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code