Menu
What do you think of her?
Aug 26, 2008 09:34
  • APAULT
Why is it a contradiction Dodger? In Australia prostitution is not illegal. I thought that is the case in the UK too. She should not be prevented from taking on a part time job any more than any other officer.

If it is a contradiction, why do we tolerate judges and police officers of all ranks visiting prostitutes? Double standards maybe??
Aug 26, 2008 18:46
  • MARRIE
<<If it is a contradiction, why do we tolerate judges and police officers of all ranks visiting prostitutes? Double standards maybe?? >>

Well said, Paul.

I heard that Australian gov required high ranked politicians report their privacy and financial positions after the scandal of the governor of new york state.

I also heard liscenced prostitution is legal because it contributes tax revenue to gov. double stands also??
Aug 26, 2008 19:06
  • DODGER
As you would know Paul the police in Oz have to let their superiors know if they are moonlighting and what that second job is so that they cannot be compromised in carrying out their job which is to uphold the law.
Although a lawyer friend did tell me once that justice and morals are a contradiction in terms, I would still hope that police officer pulling me over for an alleged driving offence or anything else for that matter would have a higher moral character than that demanded of a road sweeper.
If I had screwed that officer the night before my limited respect such that it is would be completely gone.
My view is the very same that the NSW police academy took some years ago when it was found that one of the cadets had been a prostitute and dismissed her.
Prostitution is legal admitted, but if one of my children had chosen this “career” I would not be boasting to my mates down the pub about it and wouldn’t be handing out business cards.
You used the word ethics recently in one of your posts.
What’s the difference between morals and ethics?
We may very well be accused of being naive in demanding any one of the above from our lawmakers and leaders, but I don’t think we should stop asking.
Cheers, Dodger.
Aug 26, 2008 21:20
  • BBQQ
Paul, is prostitution legal in Australia? Surprising! I assume that prostitution is illegal in UK. Otherwise, she wouldn't be caught. She is stupid. Why did she choose to be a call girl? Doesn't she know she might be caught one day?
Aug 27, 2008 05:43
  • APAULT
BBQ, it is legal because one has a right to choose what one does with ones own body. We all sell ourselves to some extent. As we will never stop prostitution isn't it better to make it legal subject to some rules (such as not being next to schools).

For a poor person prostitution seems a way out of poverty...for some this is true. It is the poverty that is the crime, the crime of the government which in these modern times has permitted the poverty to continue.

What Dodger says is right - the police are expected to be open about their part time jobs and their past - and the NSW police officer did not admit this. Understandably, she feared she would be rejected because of prejudice over something which is legal and supported by many of the men who condemned her.

I am not sure if their is a linguistic difference between morals and ethics but I make the following distinction. Morals are the values we seek to uphold while ethics are the way we go about following them (or not)
Aug 27, 2008 20:53
  • BBQQ
Thanks, paul. your explaination sounds reasonable.

"For a poor person prostitution seems a way out of poverty...for some this is true. It is the poverty that is the crime, the crime of the government which in these modern times has permitted the poverty to continue."

In China, prostitution is illegal. However, there still are many girls who take prostitution as their "career" to make money. In order to survive, they have no other choices.
Aug 27, 2008 22:22
  • DODGER
But poverty is a relative term.
The poor in Australia are given free housing, free medical, free education and free money and a subsidy for every child that they have. Some even breed to get more free money..
I call poor not having coal for the fire, having bread and dripping for tea and walking to school with holes in your shoes. These are from my own personal recollection.
As to prostitution in Australia, many of them are drug addicts so need to sell themselves to be able to feed this habit. But on this I’m not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg.
I am not sure that it is entirely the responsibly of the government to eradicate poverty but to create an environment were all can prosper.
Perhaps a little OT here but an example of government just throwing money at a problem is the continuing disgrace in which many Aboriginals still live.
Well over one million dollars per head has been spent on this group and it has only gone to enrich a small select group. They have turned it into an industry.
Dodger.
Sep 1, 2008 04:45
  • ZOEY
Compared with those polices who intrigue with the thieves, drug smugglers etc, she is better than them.
Sep 3, 2008 00:19
GUEST21336 So she could hook 'em, and then book 'em..

I bet she could get more info than the police team put toether.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What do you think of her?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code