Menu
Thinking of moving to China
Aug 28, 2008 17:20
  • PICKLE
Hi,

I'm considering emigrating from the UK to China. China is one of a number of places I'm considering.

The reasons: Sick of UK. Running online business so can run from anywhere and income would take me further in China.

Questions:
1. Which of the following areas would be most recommended by people on this forum: Beijing, Guangzhuo, Hong Kong - Kowloon, Pudong, Shanghai or Shenzhen.
2. Medical care in China [specifically above areas] for ex-pats and pricing - or links please.
3. VISA. I know there is a 'D' visa. How do I go about getting permission from the relevant Public Security Bureau for permission to reside in the relevant area? How likely is it that I will encounter problems in renewing the VISA after 12 months? Are there any other VISA's that would be easier to get that would allow me to permanently live there?
4. Marriage. I am currently single. If I get married to a Brit or another foreigner [whose country does have amicable relations with China] are there any problems I may encounter? Similarly, if I marry a Chinese?

All help would be much appreciated.

Ta,
Jonathan
Sep 6, 2008 02:39
  • SUNNY86
HI PICKLE,

NICE TO KNOW YOU HERE .

I SUGGEST YOU COME TO SHANGHAI , IT IS THE LARGEST CITY IN CHINA , INTERNATIONAL , COMMERICAL , ECONOMOY ALL WELL DEVELOPED , ALSO TOURISIM AND SHANGHAI ALSO HAS MANY FOREIGNERS , YOU CAN WELL ADJUST YOURSELF TO THE ENVIROMENT VERY SOON.

IF YOU NEED ANY HELP FRROM ME , PLS MAIL ME AT :gmail.com|sunnyerday
Sep 6, 2008 05:03
  • SUNDAY
hi my name is sunday christopher am a nigeria i will like ti come to china please i need you to tell me how to go about it.thanks
Sep 6, 2008 10:01
  • APAULT
The D visa is one I know less about - but it sems it is not that easy to get. You might have to go for a lesser visa such as an F visa. if you are not directly employed or employing in China you can even operate on an L visa for a while. Look at the long term options later afteryou have decided you want to stay. In general it is difficult to get long term residency, tho not impossible. Marrying a Chinese helps, but you are still a foreigner allowed to stay at 'the pleasure of the government'...and that can be revoked any time. If you marry a foreigner who is rejected for a visa, it should not affect yours - but you would be split up.

For medical insurance to basic western standards I was quoted 7000rmb (say 500 pounds) for a year -m far too expensive on a teacher's pay, but quite reasonable at pommie prices. However I doubt that it provides cover to the extent that you might beused to. I finally paid 1200 rmb for a year providing the samecover as local teachers get from their employer - ie in government hospitals and an excess/co-contribution to all costs incurred.

Shanghai (incl Pudong) is a good choice as it has w/s markets and manufacturers and many expats. Yiwu is also not too far away. It is probably the most sophisticated city in China (tho I guess some others will disagree). On the other hand, costs there are much higher.

Guangzhou is also a good choice, it has w/s markets, nearby electrical goods manufacture (and many other products of course), and you are close to HK too. HK is more organised more advanced but quite a bit more expensive, tho compared with the UK, you shouldn't find it to bad.

Sep 7, 2008 04:03
  • ROBERTL
HI PICKLE
You are trying to do the same thing i am I am in China now on month L visa it expires october 20 and I am at present racking my brain trying to fond a way to extend or get another visa to stay here I wrote to visa office in Hong Kong for advice of how to get longer stay also sent email to american embassy in Hong Kong both of them told me I will have to go back to USA to get another visa at the cost of $1274.00 air ticket just to get a $100.00 visa I'm thinkng China is in the air line business more than the visa giving. wheres the logic of where i was yesterday to where i want to be today. Another case of job outsorcing to another country. I filed for fiancee visa for my girlfriend that I am living with now and want to stay with her until March when she should recieve her visa to the USA. At present it don't look like I will be able to do that. I want to live in the usa just long enough to get her citizenship and return to live in China for the rest of my life I am sick of the USA just like you are the UK. AMERICA LAND OF THE FREE is bull shit there is nothing there free unless you are an illegal wet back or a black. Now the white working man that is paying for all of this is now becoming the slave of the slaves. talk about beating a dead horse to death
Sep 7, 2008 10:49
  • BARONTWANGLE
Pickle. Totally understand where you are coming from about being tired of the UK. That is the reason I have been living in China for the past 3 years. Here's a couple of things you need to think about. If you have never been to China before, then you need to come for an extended visit before deciding to move here. I suggest you spend a couple of weeks in all the places on your shortlist, and see which one you feel most at home in. I started off living in Beijing and loved it. I now live in Guangzhou, but would move back to Beijing tomorrow if I could. It is not that I hate GZ - it is just not as suitable for me as BJ. I wouldn't live in Shanghai if you paid me, but that is because I just don't feel comfortable there. To me it is a souless city, similar to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. However, I know other people who love it. So it is up to you to test the water with each option.

Another thing you need to be aware of is the exchange rate. It is 30% down on what is was last December, which means if you are earning £'s, China isn't so cheap at the moment. Sure it is still cheaper that than the UK, but some things are getting comparable in price. If the exchange rate keeps free falling, I'll be looking to move back to the UK and earn RMB!

Regarding getting a visa to stay here permanently - forget it, it is virtually impossible. Even if you marry a Chinese girl (or guy - well you never know these days!) then you are not entitled to stay here permanently.

RobertL - You sound like a in-bred red neck from Alabama, and I hope I never have the misfortune of meeting you.

Sep 23, 2008 08:47
GUEST07486 IMOP Beijing is much better than Shanghai for people from the west, especially those from the US. Most expats I met prefer Beijing as well.
But you should check both of them by yourself...
Sep 24, 2008 21:21
  • WEST4EAST
If it is virtually impossible to stay permanently in China, then how come I hear that there actually is people who lived there for 20+ years, have families and children?
Sep 25, 2008 09:38
  • APAULT
I think it depends on what you mean by 'temporarily'. As I understand it, the peoplee who have been here 20 years have to get a neew viisa each year. At any time they could be refused one.
Sep 25, 2008 23:58
  • WEST4EAST
True. We will always be guests in their country...
Aug 6, 2009 02:03
  • QIDIQQ
Actually not only applying visas is complicates and time-wasting, but also many things connected with our non-effective enough government. I am a Chinese. As what we think about those guests from anywhere, as long as they don't commit crimes, y couldn't let them stay and enjoy their life?

But always will never be that easy ans simple.

That it is.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Thinking of moving to China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code