Menu
Is it rude to say "drink soup"?
Sep 8, 2008 02:53
guest7896
Hi there,
I am learning English language. I read a tip from a book which says that your native English speakers don't say " drink soup"? Does it sound rude to you if someone speak "drink soup"? Do you only speak "eat soup" ?

We translate "drink" into "喝 (he)"? “喝水”(drink water),“喝茶”(drink tea),“喝咖啡”(drink coffee),“喝牛奶”(drink milk),“喝果汁”(drink juice),“喝酒”(drink wine)

As such,"喝汤” should be ‘drink soup". Why shouldn't we use "drink soup"? Is it for real that you thought it is rude to say " drink soup" ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sep 8, 2008 03:18
  • LENAQIAN
You can also use "have" instead of "drink", since the verb "have" has a lot of meanings, such as "drink" and "eat".
Sep 8, 2008 04:07
  • BARONTWANGLE
It is perfectly good to say "drink soup" and anyone who tells you it is not is an idiot. People in the UK drink soup out of cups, so to use any other expression is silly.
Sep 8, 2008 11:38
  • YINDUFFY
You would most likely say " I am having a bowl of soup" rather than say I am drinking soup. However, either way you will be understood. You will not offend anyone and most are tolerant especially when they know that the speaker is learning English.
Sep 8, 2008 16:45
  • REMAG1234
The term is "eat your soup". Soup for the most part always contains a combination of things, ie. pieces of chicken/beef/fish, vegetables, noodles and whatever the recipe calls for. So eating your soup would be the correct term. A person would drink consomme or broth but I do not recall ever hearing drink your broth.
Sep 8, 2008 20:32
  • BARONTWANGLE
Yinduffy - "You would most likely say " I am having a bowl of soup" rather than say I am drinking soup" - only if it is in a bowl!!!! What if like many people you have it in a cup and drink it?!!!
Sep 9, 2008 04:19
  • BLUESKY001
If you say " drinking soup", the upper class will think you are not educated.
Sep 9, 2008 10:34
  • CARLOS
If you say "drink soup" everyone will understand what you mean.

And if a foreigner uses some "not officially endorsed" expression, I think it will be forgiven even among the upper class.

And remembering the English language skills of Margaret Thatcher, ( her pronouncing was quite perfect, I think) it is easy to imagine that English upper class think you are not educated if you are not one of them.

So say it in whatever way you say, guest, you will be forgiven.

At least I will forgive you. ;=)

Carlos
Sep 9, 2008 12:00
  • YINDUFFY
Barontwa,
You are, of course, right. My point was that no one would be "offended" or think it rude to choose to say drink.
In speaking English, as long as the speaker is understood they are successful. However in writing, as in an email, bad grammar is more serious. Very smart people appear dumb if they write poorly. Again, however, if it is known that the writer has English as a second language allowances must and usually are made.
Sep 10, 2008 22:44
  • MARRIE
Yinduffy, you are right we shoud be given allowance. I remember I met a stupid part-time professor teaching management strategy (a boring course). When I asked him for help on what 3 external factors on external assessment of Estee Lauder (stupid and vague questions presented by him), hearing my Chinglish this guy said I was far behind instead of answering me and even slip a word saying that what Walmart mission and vision are. I didn't benefit from this guy's teaching and later on i know he just serves several co. writing mission and vision.

Yinduffy, BTW, which is proper HAVE a dream or MAKE a dream
Sep 16, 2008 02:18
GUESTJORDAN The explanation is very simple and everything lies back on the caltoral differences.
In the west parts usually the soup is much more thicke and full with amny delicios parts of meat and veggies. Also the 'water' in the soup is not just boiled water in some parts of EU thay are eggs and yoghurt put into the soup. So the soup is dish and you EAT it, you cannot dring it.
In Asia the soups are much more simplier. You can see the 2 small bones and a seeweed inside and that it. You drink it. As far I watch my chinese friends they all are drinking the soup
If you say Drink the soup is an insult to the food. It is the same like you dont eat the food with hands cause it is offensive to it. But in Asia touching the food and playing with it is the way you express your graditude that you have a full table.
It is a cultural thing than a gramatical
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is it rude to say "drink soup"?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code