Menu
One person commits suicide every two minutes in China
Sep 9, 2008 01:37
  • OLIVETREE
Tomorrow( September 10th) will be the 6th World Prevention Day. Statistics from China’s Mental Health Assossiciation shows that suicide rates have greatly increased in the past 6 years. One person commits suicides and dies every 2 minutes, eighte people who tried to commit suicide but failed every 2 minutes. About 250,000 people died of suicide every year in China. At least 1milllion people have suicidal attempts but failed.

The problems related to marriage are the major cause for suicide. Suicide is a global problem. In the last 45 years suicide rates have increased by 60% worldwide. How do we help people with suicidal tendency to go through the toughest time of their lives?

Sep 9, 2008 03:55
  • LENAQIAN
What I know about this issue is that about 520,000 people commit suicide every year in China!
Sep 9, 2008 10:40
  • CARLOS
There is no way we can possibly stop the train. It simply is how the world goes.

Today´s theme is get over it or you are doomed. Merry-go-round is going round with acceleration. Fasten your seat belts.

Carlos
Sep 9, 2008 15:35
  • SETH
The increase in suicides is alarming. Maybe instead of getting better, conditions across the world are increasingly more stressful than ever. I believe that for all our technology and time-saving gadgets, we are becoming slaves to our technologies and the driving need to compete and produce which just generates more stress. A human being can become a pressure cooker and eventually explode from too much stress and pressure. It is truly sad to imagine the futility and sense of hopelessness that would drive a person to suicide. Carlos is probably right - get over it (whatever IT is), cope with it, and survive. Otherwise you are doomed.
Sep 9, 2008 17:12
  • BARONTWANGLE
A vast majority of people who attempt to commit suicide but fail, do not really want to die. They are just seeking attention, and should not be counted in the suicide statistics. If you really want to kill yourself, then it is very easy. Only someone who is a total idiot or just seeking attention can fail at this.

The real problem is there are simply too many people in the world. This causes so many problems (pollution, famine, stress, etc) and a few less people in the world (voluntarily) is a good thing. We should have an international suicide day where people who are not happy are encouraged to die and reduce the over population on this crowded planet. Governments could offer incentives such as paying for funeral expenses.

Imagine how good the world would be if I were in charge?
Sep 9, 2008 20:50
  • DODGER
If the figures quoted are correct and this mortality rate was caused by plane crashes annually in China there would have been a public outcry long before now.
In the west mental illness still carries a stigma going back hundreds of years. The “Lock them up and keep them out of site” mentality.
Physical illness is dealt with and accepted in a completely different way.
I agree with Seth’s comments that perhaps modern technology has made a contribution to this.
It may have released us from physical drudgery only to be replaced by a level of communication that can very easily get out of control.
How did we survive before the mobile phone and the internet?
In the last company that I worked for I was given a Blackberry and was expected to be on call virtually 24 hours a day to respond to the CEO’s emails in microscopic detail. A completely ridicules situation.
Barron, I would be convinced of your sincerity if you would be the first to volunteer. I promise to go after you. Cross my heart.
Dodger.
Sep 9, 2008 20:57
  • KEVIN0518
A vast majority of people who attempt to commit suicide but fail, do not really want to die. They are just seeking attention, and should not be counted in the suicide statistics.

Baron, do you mean the farmer workers in China? They are the weak groups. Some jump from the buildings just to seek attention. Why? Their bosses don't give their money they have earned. They just hope the government can notice them and help them get their payment.

"The real problem is there are simply too many people in the world. This causes so many problems (pollution, famine, stress, etc) and a few less people in the world (voluntarily) is a good thing. We should have an international suicide day where people who are not happy are encouraged to die and reduce the over population on this crowded planet. Governments could offer incentives such as paying for funeral expenses."

I have the same idea with Dodger. If you are the first volunteer to make your contribution to the world, I will follow you undoubtedly.
Sep 9, 2008 21:00
  • SHESGOTTOBE
That’s a lot of people with suicidal tendencies. The only reason I can think of why people do this is when they try to live up to other people’s expectations and then feel helpless about themselves when they couldn’t achieve those expectations. But… that is their style. It is their life. If they don’t value their own lives, who else will? I believe if we are stressed, it is our own doing.

“The problems related to marriage are the major cause for suicide.”

Weird. Then why do I keep hearing people say that you will be happy once you get married?
Sep 9, 2008 22:49
  • SUMMERSNOW
“The problems related to marriage are the major cause for suicide.”

Weird. Then why do I keep hearing people say that you will be happy once you get married?

SHESGOTTOBE , when many women are crossed in love, the depression can drive them to do the silly things. For instance, when many women found their husbands have extra-marital affairs, they tried to win back their husbands' hearts by threatening that they would commit suicide. They did, but their husbands became other women's husbands.
Sep 10, 2008 21:23
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"SHESGOTTOBE , when many women are crossed in love, the depression can drive them to do the silly things. For instance, when many women found their husbands have extra-marital affairs, they tried to win back their husbands' hearts by threatening that they would commit suicide. They did, but their husbands became other women's husbands."

Right. How can anyone be so pathetic? No amount of begging, crying and slicing of wrists will make a man stay if he wants to leave.

He’s probably even laughing at her while she is killing herself: “Yes! I will be free!”

If he is the kind who can be bothered by his conscience, he wouldn’t have cheated in the first place.
Sep 11, 2008 05:26
  • BARONTWANGLE
Here's a suggestion.....

How about we have "International Christian Assisted Suicide Day"? It would benefit everyone. I know that the Bible says that Christians won't go to heaven if they take their own life, so they could kill each other in a huge bloody slaughter (just like the bible promotes). The Christians will all be happy because they will be in eternal heaven, and the rest of the world will be happy because we won't have any of "God's Army" trying to convince us to be saved anymore - which will be heaven in itself.

This would solve the world population problem, and the USA would be virtually empty. We could then turn it into a world park for people to visit, and turn all the empty evangelical churches into hotels. We could use all the bibles as fuel for China's power stations, which will be ironic, as for the first time, God really will be showing us the light! Pity none of his trusty army will be around to see it.

Can anyone see any fault with this theory at all?

Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: One person commits suicide every two minutes in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code