Menu
Mixing melamine to dairy products is worth the try?
Sep 20, 2008 08:19
  • WANHU
The Sanlu incident probably makes some people think of the wrong doing of certain people to make a quick buck raking tons of profit, but on the other hand probably using melamine is as one of the answers to world food crisis but it backfires because although melamine produces high nitrogen and when added in milk, can make its protein level appear higher than what it actually is. Melamine is used only to make plastics and fertilisers and it is banned in food production.

Now, the impact of that incident has caused most dairy products from China, including the innocent ones, are being rejected by many countries all over the world. When will it simmer down for the importers to accept the dairy products from China?
Sep 20, 2008 10:47
  • GEOVANI
Normally used in the manufacture of plastics, melamine makes foods appear higher in protein, but has caused kidney stones in babies in several Chinese provinces.

Zhang Zhenling, Sanlu's vice-president, did not explain why the company took so long to inform the public about the contamination despite receiving complaints as early as March and having tests confirm the presence of the chemical in early August.

News emerged of the problem only after a New Zealand company, Fonterra, which owns 43% of Sanlu, informed New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark, who then informed the Beijing government.

"The serious safety accident of the Sanlu formula milk powder for infants has caused severe harm to many sickened babies and their families. We feel really sad about this," Mr Zhang said, reading from a prepared statement.

Four people have so far been arrested in connection with the scandal, with more expected. Twenty-two others are being questioned.

geovani

www.drivenwide.com
Sep 21, 2008 06:23
  • BARONTWANGLE
Wanhu - "probably using melamine is as one of the answers to world food crisis" - you then go on to correctly say "Melamine is used to make plastics and fertilisers and it is banned in food production". Contradiction?!!
Sep 21, 2008 23:18
  • GRIZ326
Punishment of the guilty will be swift and sure; that would not happen in most western nations. Unfortunately, retribution serves little purpose for those who lost their children.
Sep 22, 2008 08:27
  • WANHU
Barontwa, I don't think there is any contradictory remarks on my part. I just want to be fair to the people in Sanlu company that engineered the dairy products with melamine, perhaps they were thinking that it is one of the ways to solve the food crisis. That is why I used the word "probably". The word "but it backfires" shows my disagreement with whatever reasons they may have. Thanks.
Post a Reply to: Mixing melamine to dairy products is worth the try?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code