Menu
Are coins used much in China?
Sep 26, 2008 11:32
  • YINDUFFY
When I have visited China, I have seen people use paper money for all transactions. Even when paying the small fee for public toilets small denominations paper bills were used.
Are coins used much in daily life in China today?
Sep 26, 2008 11:48
  • HYGEIA
No,not so!
We don't like use coins
Sep 26, 2008 20:18
  • BBQQ
HYGEIA, where do you live? Coins is still used in China. If you take public bus without a ticket seller, you need to put your money in a box. People use 1 yuan coin to take bus. Also, if you go to super market, you will find that they give you coins as changes.
Sep 30, 2008 15:27
  • GRIZ326
In my experience, coins are not used as commonly as the paper money when compared with the United States. It was also true in the other countries I've traveled.
Oct 5, 2008 22:25
  • CHERRY07
Why not stop issuing coins since they are not used much? So far, I have had a huge box of coins. Every time I go to the super market, the cashier gives me coins as changes. However, I forget to bring them when I go to the super market. So I have accumulated a large quantity of coins.
Oct 6, 2008 02:46
  • JSUMMERS83
In most parts of Xinjiang and in smaller cities across China stores don't even accept coins. The only coins I've ever seen around here are the worthless "fen" and even I hate using those.

I actually find it quite annoying to have to deal with coins when I go around a bigger city like Beijing or Shanghai. Like Cherry07 was saying, I find myself just collecting coins as opposed to using them.
Oct 7, 2008 01:16
  • CHERRY07
The only coins I've ever seen around here are the worthless "fen" and even I hate using those.

Jsummer, I haven't seen "fen" for a long time. I just think that they are not in circulation now.
Oct 9, 2008 07:13
  • JSUMMERS83
Sorry to disappoint you! "Fen" are in wide circulation here in Xinjiang. Although practically worthless as far as I'm concerned, and probably not used in larger cities such as Beijing and Xi'an, these plastic feeling coins are usually found in our supermarkets.

I think the "fen", just like the U.S. penny, should officially end circulation.
Oct 9, 2008 10:13
  • JOSHIRV57
Its comical: They do use the coins very much in China.The paper money is used just as much.Just try to put one yuan in the coin operated water machine,or even
the ticket machine in the Metros,which use both.When you get change for the metro,they always give you coins.Most stores will accept both coins and paper.In
the city where I am staying,they seem to use both equally.
Oct 9, 2008 10:19
  • JOSHIRV57
Say Griz where are you from?
Oct 9, 2008 22:29
  • LEOPOLD219
You see, carrying coins with you is quite annoying. If you are careless, you probably lose them. So I always ask the cashier to to give me paper money as changes.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are coins used much in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code