Menu
British kids are ignorant of the nation's history
Sep 27, 2008 22:51
  • SUMMERSNOW
British kids are ignorant of the country’s history. They even don’t know Winston Churchil,a important figure in the country’s history.A recent survey conducted on a number of 1,000 students aged 8 to 11 showed that 25% kids think that Churchill is a dog in an insurance company’s advertisement. The reason is that the advertisement presents the image of the dog similar to Churchill.

However, most children can recognize film stars and athletes. 93% kids know Beckham. 85% kid know the American pop singer Britney Spears. It’s a pity that a great number of them don’t know who led their country to victory in the Second World War.

Previous polls have indicated that most Britons have less interest in learning history. 77% Britons seldome read history books. Should they forget their history?
Sep 28, 2008 07:38
  • YINDUFFY
Ignorance of history is quite commonplace. It has been said that "truth is stranger than fiction" and people love hearing stores about the past but the media (TV and movies) does not tell the tales and many people complain that their school teachers made history seem boring.
Book sales of history related subjects are high and history forums on the internet are very popular. Many people have to do their own research to enjoy history. This is usually after they leave school.
Why are young people so ignorant of history? They have other social issues on their mind. Only later do they appreciate the past and the events which led to today's society.
Sep 28, 2008 09:22
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Usually, many people who were born generations away from the event barely know anything unless they are serious in studying history. Not all people in all countries know their history.
Sep 28, 2008 16:00
  • DAVEC
I think you are getting distracted here with your history statement.

What is should say is ' British kids are ignorant' !!!
Sep 28, 2008 22:27
  • DODGER
This also has a lot to do with the curriculum and who sets it. This just goes to expose a larger agenda.
When I was in Primary school our studies started in the Neolithic period right up to the Spanish Armada, including Chinese history up to the Ming period.
In High School history went right up to the present time.
I attended a military school for a number of years so there was a little more military history included.
But if people in general don’t know were they have come from it makes it a lot easier to lead them in a direction that they may be unaware of.
Dodger.
Sep 29, 2008 03:42
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Most curriculum these days are focused on Math and Science and learning a second/third language. Not a lot of importance is put on History. In depth study of History is a double-edged sword, it could create more nationalistic emotions on students. If a country want to promote nationalism, they put a lot of importance in History, sometimes even twisting it to create pride. In extreme cases, it creates blind nationalism.
Sep 29, 2008 08:29
  • DODGER
She, totally wrong.
He who controls the passed controls the future.
Dodger.
Sep 29, 2008 13:26
  • SETH
George Santayana (NOT Carlos Santana!) said: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Not to understand history is - to be blunt - stupid. The past is prologue.

I agree in principle with Dodger, but not entirely, since it is a bit impossible to literally control the past. But understanding the past is key to shaping the future.

Also, American kids are not unlike British kids. Hung up with video games and star personality fixation and gossip.

I think I worry too much about the future, but looking at the economic mess in the USA today, maybe I'm not worrying enough. And history played a part here too: the Depression was caused by out of control margin practices in buying stocks; today's mess is the result of out of control margin practices in giving mortgage loans to unqualified borrowers - millions of unqualified borrowers!
Sep 29, 2008 13:42
  • CARLOS
Kids aged 8 to 11!!!!!!!!

Here kids that age know present president, that´s it. They know Britney too.

Put 4 - 5 years more, they know who Churchill was and I think so do British kids same age.

Perhaps checking perspective would be in place.

Sep 29, 2008 13:44
  • CARLOS
Oops, fingers...

Of course, if they are not taught it, some of them will not know.

Carlos
Sep 29, 2008 22:34
  • DODGER
History in Australia has already been re-written and is now being taught in schools.
The discovery of the continent and colonization is now called an invasion by the Left.
Just one example of history being manipulated and changed to fit better with a groups political agenda.
Dodger.

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: British kids are ignorant of the nation's history
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code