Menu
china trip
Oct 13, 2008 16:26
  • SLIMJIM
First China Visit
Hi All
I have a difficult question. I have just retired at age 61 and am making my first of several trips to China in January. ( I am from Canada so the cold is no big deal). However, I am having difficulty deciding on an itinerary. I have almost 4 weeks. I can arrive and depart from any city. I like Chinese culture, art, people, landscapes, history and food. I have no interest in an organized tour but will likely hire local guides along the way or maybe for the wholwe trip. I am not into too much discomfort but I would really like to experience China as much as possible rather that just be a passive tourist observer, if that makes sense. I know it's a HUGE and diverse country and I will have a relatively short time but I would appreciate some advice the experts on this forum on what to see and where to go. Thanks in advance
Oct 14, 2008 00:40
  • GRIZ326
China is vast. Each region has interesting sights to see and food to eat. May I suggest that you make an attempt to define the sort of Chinese experience that suits your personality. For instance: Do you like cities; or do you prefer the country side? Would you have a richer experience by seeing people living in the older ways; or would you be satisfied with an experience in modern China?

One of my best memories of China came when I wandered into the courtyard of a home where an old man was squatting to clean fresh water eel for dinner. He was surrounded by little children watching him clean the meal. It was quite a memorable scene. Seeing an old man buy eel for dinner in Walmart is not quite the same experience.

IMO, you have to decide what aspects of China capture your imagination and then build your plan.
Oct 14, 2008 01:24
  • BABYHARE
Hello Slimjim,

Yes, I agree with Griz. As China is such a huge place, you have to decided what kind of trip you want first.

I have many experiece in different part of China, and the memories were totally different. In my viewpoint, I would say I like to travel to the old towns, because that looks quite "China". But to tell you the truth, today a lot of wellknowned old towns has changed much, the business man built a lot of bars and small hotels in those town----that is not a bad thing, at least you will have more comfortable and clean places to stay and more places to spend during the nightlife, but on the other hand, the tourists and the bars changed the feelings of those old town, they are not like what they were any more.

So all in one word, I would say if now I want a lazy trip and relax myself from the hard work, I would like to go to some developed places; if I want to discover some special places and experience the local people's life, I would start a backpack trip towards some small villages with a long history. :-)

Cheers

Nancy
Oct 14, 2008 17:23
  • SLIMJIM
Thanks for the advice. Well, I want it both ways-modern urban China and the countryside experience. I think my itinerary will be something like Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu Kunming (or Guilin, not decided yet-opinions?) and ending in HK for the new year. While in each city i intend to take day trips to see as much as I can. I don't intend to move too fast. So, what do you think?
Oct 14, 2008 20:39
GUEST17118 I am a Chinese young man, I know Chinese city and country. I would like to be your guide if I am free.
MSN: hotmail.com|wangchjie
Oct 14, 2008 20:59
  • BABYHARE
Hmmm...that sound more like a lazy trip for me. Then i would say you can start from Beijing, stay in the morden city for some days to visit the Imperial Palace, the Summer Palace, the Great Wall and even the Hu-tongs. Then you fly to Xi'an, which was the capital city of the old dynasty, you can visit the Burial figures of warriors and horses, Huaqingchi hot-spring, Dayan tower in the city, and then you can spend a couple of days to Huangling(the tomb of a famous king) and Hukou warterfall, if you like to climb the moutains, you can try Moutain Hua. Then you go to Chengdu from Xi'an, around Chengdu, you can play with the monkeys in Emei mountain, see the Leshan Giant Buddha, if you have intereste, you can also watch the colorful water in Jiuzhaigou. Don't forget to taste the local food in Sichuan. And if you go to Kunming, don't forget to go to Lijiang, it is a developed old town with some nice bars, you can live there to spend some lazy days, I'm sure you will like it. :-P
Oct 19, 2008 07:20
  • SLIMJIM
Thanks again for advice. Nancy, that's exactly the kind of trip I am wanting but it's not laxy, just slower paced to enhance the experience. But since my trip ends after spring Festival, where best for me to enjoy this experience; BJ, Shanghai or HK.
Oct 19, 2008 21:59
  • BABYHARE
You are welcome, Slimjim. To experience the Spring Festival, I would say Beijing is the most interesting place of that three. :-)
Oct 21, 2008 01:18
  • LEONXU
Hangzhou is one of the most famous traveling city with beautiful natural scenary in China.It's about 1-2 hour away from Shanghai by train or bus.I'm living in Hangzhou.So if you have interest in traveling in Hangzhou.I could be your good guide.And i would show you some picture of the city if you have interest.
Leon
Nov 20, 2008 13:46
  • SLIMJIM
Hi again
I am arriving in Beijing on January 5 and will stay in that area sightseeing for 7-8 days. I have decided to go south after that because the weather is warmer. I have learned that there is a train, non-stop I think, from Beijing to HK. I haven't been able to find any reviews of the trip but it looks an interesting way to see the country. I would go for the deluxe soft sleeper which looks great. Has anyone done this and if so, do you recommed it. After a few days in HK I plan to visit Xiamen, Fuzhou, Hangzhou and ending in Shanghai for the New Year (I considered your advice Nancy but this works better for me). I am travelling alone but will occasionally hire a guide or travel companion. I can't afford someone for the entire trip.
Nov 20, 2008 20:31
  • CHINAGUY
i adcise you of some tips in china :1.historical places :
Forbidden City in Beijing
Terra cotta Warriors and Horses in Xi'an
Gaochang Ruins in Xinjiang
Jiaohe Ruins in Xinjiang;
Ruin of st Paul Church in Macau;
Great Wall of China
Silk Road
Banpo Village Remains in Xi'an
Sanxingdui Ruins in Sichuan
Mante Fortress in Macau
Dujiangyan Irrigation Project
2.natural tips mountains :
Yellow Mountain
Huashan Mountain
Mountain Everest
Mountain Putuoshan in Zhejiang
Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in Yunnan
Meili Snow Mountain in Yunnan
Huitengxile Grassland in Hohhot
Longji Terrace Field in Longsheng
Longsheng Hot Spring in Guilin
Flaming Mountain in Xinjiang
Mt. Laoshan in Shandong
Thousand Buddha Mountain in Shandong
Qilian Mountain
Chengde Attraction
Xilamurengrassland
Qingxiu Mountain
Jiuzhaigou scenic & historic area
Huanglong Scenic & historic area
3.waterfall etc............
Yangtze River
Li River
Grand Canal
Qinhuai River in Nanjing
West Lake in Hangzhou
Thousand Islets Lake in Hangzhou
Heavenly Lake in Xinjiang
Shouxi Lake in Jiangsu
East Lake in Wuhan
Erhai Lake in Yunnan
Lugu Lake in Yunnan
Dianchi Lake in Yunnan
Karakuli Lake in Xinjiang
Aiding Lake in Xinjiang
Baotu Spring in Shandong
Crescent-Moon Spring in Gansu
Huaqing Hot Springs in Xi'an
Hukou Waterfall
4.palace , mosque ,temple ..................................
Potala Palace in Tibet
Bird's Nest in Beijing
Water Cube in Beijing
Shanghai World Financial Center in Shanghai
NorbuLingka in Tibet
Summer Palace in Chengde
National Center for the Performing Arts in Beijing
Yonghegong Lama Temple
Temple of Heaven
White Horse Temple
South Putuo Temple
Jade Buddha Temple
Confucius Temple
Hanshan Temple
Lingyin Temple
Kumbum Monastery(Ta'er Monastery)
Idgar Mosque
Putuozongcheng Temple
Puning Temple
Puji Buddhist Temple
Five Pagoda Temple

Confucius Temple
Hanshan Temple
Lingyin Temple
Wuhou Memorial Temple
Dreprung Monastery
Ganden Monastery
Jokhang Temple
Sera Monastery
Great Mosque
Grand Dongguan Mosque
Outer Eight Temples
Bara Temple
Lianfong Temple
Dazhao Temple
5.tower ,building ............................
Bell Tower
Drum Tower
Big Wild Goose Pagoda
Small Wild Goose Pagoda
Sugong Ta (Emin Minaret)
Jokhang Temple
Sera Monastery
Great Mosque
White Pagoda
Grand Dongguan Mosque
Six Harmonies Pagoda
Three Pagodas
White Stupa
Diping Wind and Rain Bridge
Yellow Crane Tower
Marco Polo Bridge(Lougu Bridge)
First Bridge over the Yangtze River
Macau Attractions
Xian Ancient City Wall
Yumen Pass
Yangguan Pass
Jiayuguan Pass
The Suspended Great Wall
Pingyao Ancient City Wall
6.museums............
Luoyang Museum; Museum of Ancient Tombs Hubei Provincial Museum Western Han Nanyue King Tomb Museum
Oversea Chinese Museum
The Great Wall Museum
Macau Marine Museum
Giant Panda Breeding and Research Base
Shanghai Museum
Suzhou Silk Museum
Banpo Museum
Forest of Stele Musum
Shaanxi Provincial Museum
Macau Wine Museum
Macau Great Prix Museum

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: china trip
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code