Menu
SMS Service in China
Oct 20, 2008 20:30
guest30139 Good Morning I am in the Yunnan province and last month bought a China Mobile network SIM card (Music Package).

Can anyone please tell me how do I send a SMS from China (Yunnan) to the UK as I have been sending messages to the UK for over a month and only found out today that no one received them despite being charged for them.

Is there a special code I need to insert before entering the mobile number.
Also I put in about 100/150 Yuan a month on my phone but have been told by some people that if I call anyone in China or the UK then there is a specal number I insert before dialling the number and this makes the call charge a lot cheaper than normal.

Any advice or help woudl be really appreciated thank you.

Des xx
Oct 20, 2008 23:40
  • WANHU
UK code is +44, so far I used that to call my nephew in UK. I used to forget that and messages were sent to someone else's. Some Chinese friends in Guangdong told me to put 12593 before dialling the number, but I'm not sure about Yunnan.
Oct 20, 2008 23:42
  • WANHU
that 12593 maybe only can be used for China number. Why not try to subscribe Skype phone?
Oct 21, 2008 16:49
  • DAVEC
I have text many times from china to uk, you must use the +44 but somtimes you need to leave out the 0 at the start of the number.
sometimes you do sometimes you dont, but I have no problem texting.
Oct 21, 2008 17:46
  • JIMPANZY
Also depends if your phone is been opened to accept all networks. If your phone is not tri-band this will also cause you problems. I have recently returned from China (also visited Yunnan) and also had the same problem with my phone because the guy in the carphone warehouse said this phone will work perfeclty in China. My network is orange and found it to be of no use. The best network to be with is Voda phone because I am sure they work alongside China mobile. Check to see if your phone is tri-band and also check your phone is open to all networks.
Oct 25, 2008 21:53
GUEST31191 Hello

Can anyone tell me that when you leave China how much currency in cash can you take out the country for example take back home in GBP (British Pounds and also RMB)Is there a specified limit as coming into the country I could not bring in more than ¥6000 RMB。

Can anyone help in regards of knowing about how much ¥RMB and GBP you can take out of China as I do not want to get into trouble taking too much GBP and RMB out the country and break any rules。 What does declare mean as someone said I would have to declare the money at the airport?

Any help would be great thank you

Des x
Oct 26, 2008 04:27
  • GAFFER
My partner has 2 phones, one with roam facility (which she has to use in HK) but which is expensive to use normally. The other she uses for everyday use. With her roam phone she can send SMS to the UK, with her normal phone she cannot. However, she can receive SMS from the UK on either. When sending from China some phones/services require +44 (or whatever country code) others require 0044 preceding the number with the local 0 removed.
Oct 26, 2008 22:06
  • DODGER
Gaffer is correct. If you don’t have a roam facility you can receive international calls and text messages but cannot send them.
If you bring a phone with you from Europe or the States to China with roaming it should work OK, but every call you make while in China even to a local number with be charged as an international call because it will be routed back via your provider.
Dodger.
Post a Reply to: SMS Service in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code