Menu
Have your computer been hacked by MS?
Oct 21, 2008 03:16
  • KEVIN0518
Yesterday, MS lauched Windows XP Professional and Office genuine authentication scheme to verify if the users uses genuine Windows XP and Office in China. From Oct 20, all users of pirated Windows XP Professional Edition and Office will be informed by MS by adding an obvious "non-genuine software" logo in their computers. What's more, their computers will become "black" (a frequency of once per hour, the desktop into a pure black background) first and Office of the menu bar will be added, "non-genuine software" logo.

This is the second operation launched by MS to combat piracy and copyright of its products in Chinese market. Do you remember "Tomato Garden" incident? Hong Lei, the inventor of Microsoft Tomato Garden version Windows operating system was caught and put into prison. MS has started to adopt more measure to deal with piracy and copyright problems.

According to its plan, MS will spend one and half month to inform all users of pirated Windows and Office. MS also said that this operation was not against Chinese market. Instead, it was a global operation.

About MS's operation, its users have different views. Many worry about their computers' safety. "If MS can change my desktop into black background, it can also easily and freely enter my system, even manipulate my system and intrude my privacy." Some users say that they also want to use the genuine Windows and Office but the prices are too high and they can't afford them.

Dong Zhengwei, a lawyer in Beijing has reported MS to the the Ministry of Public Security. Dong thinks that MS's plan has intruded the users' privacy and menaced information safety. He says that MS might be the greatest Hacker in China.

Has your computer been hacked by MS?

Maybe, Chinese government should also make investigations on MS to see if MS has monopoly problem in Chinese markets.

If your operating system is not genuine, the desktop might change to a pure black background.

Oct 21, 2008 07:08
  • WCTMAN
"Some users say that they also want to use the genuine Windows and Office but the prices are too high and they can't afford them." Geez, I wonder why. When one guy can buy a "real" version, and copy it to 20 friends, they are all getting it for 1/20th of the cost of its market value. Would the price not fall if pirating was eliminated, or at best reduced?

"Dong Zhengwei, a lawyer in Beijing has reported MS to the the Ministry of Public Security. Dong thinks that MS's plan has intruded the users' privacy and menaced information safety". OK. So, you steal the product, and then complain that the rightful owner is invading your privacy by taking steps to ensure that you cease and desist doing so. Yeah, good luck with that lawsuit.
Oct 21, 2008 08:00
  • JCNILE123
(((Some users say that they also want to use the genuine Windows and Office but the prices are too high and they can't afford them.)))
So, if they can't afford it they can't have it, period.
Perhaps they are living above their meanings.

(((Maybe, Chinese government should also make investigations on MS to see if MS has monopoly problem in Chinese markets.)))
(Monopoly)… I think it is MS property, this people is stealing from MS.
Oct 21, 2008 08:52
  • CARLOS
I have heard shops selling computers don´t have licensed operating systems. They simply download pirated programs in it.
Here all clone computers have oem operating system. So when buy computer, get legal Windows with it.

Sadly, MS really has monopoly, but it is simply because Windows is suitable for all people, there is no need to understand very much about programming to use Windows.
Alternative to Windows could be Linux, but I don´t know if can have Chinese version yet. I know many Chinese banks have taken Linux as their operating system. Using linux needs at first quite much more thinking than Windows, but Linux can be downloaded from internet for free. I had Ubuntu Linux in one of my computers, but I must admit I am too lazy for it.

Very good alternative to MS Office is OpenOffice.org. Nowadays it is fully competitive to MS. It is also downloadable from internet for free. I use it in both of my new computers, which have MS Vista and have had no problems. Can have it in Chinese, I don´t know either.

Carlos
Oct 21, 2008 20:48
  • JIMMYB
Using linux needs at first quite much more thinking than Windows, but Linux can be downloaded from internet for free. I had Ubuntu Linux in one of my computers, but I must admit I am too lazy for it.

Linux is good but I think that the ordinary computer users can't use it very well. The beginners even can't install some softwares under Linux system. In Windows, you just need double click that software and click "next" to finish it. While it is different in Linux system. You need input some orders to finish it. These are what my friends told me. Perhaps, that's why Linux is unpopular like Windows.

"As for MS's genuine authentication scheme, it is very easy to escape from verification. For the users of pirated MS, as long as you shut down your "windows update", you needn't worry about it anymore. Even MS said that it doesn't force all users to go through WGA and OGA verification processes. The users have the right to choose. " This is what I found on the internet. You see, the users have their own ways to deal with WGA and OGA verification.

To my understanding, MS just wants to promote its new operating system---vista by combating piracy and copyright of Windows XP and Office. According to MS, from September in 2009, they will stop selling Windows XP and releasing any new patches to the users of Windows XP. The WGA and OGA verification just helps MS to bring an end to Windows XP as soon as possible.
Oct 21, 2008 21:05
  • JIMMYB
MS said that genuine operating systems and offices software sales had increased by 40 percent after it launched WGA and OGA verification. Is it real? Many users said that they would use WPS or other office sofwares instead of MS office. By the way, the users have ways to escape from WGA verification. So I doubt what MS said.

Maybe, Chinese government should also make investigations on MS to see if MS has monopoly problem in Chinese markets.

Totally agree. In Europe, MS has been accused of monopoly and been fined a greal deal of money. That is a good example. The monopoly problem do exisit in China. Now China has set up anti-monopoly law. It is necessary to deal with MS's monopoly in Chinese market.

By the way, that black background is cool.
Oct 21, 2008 21:48
  • GRIZ326
It has been a global operation to force people into compliance.

In the USA a copyright holder is obligated to defend their copyright or abandon it. Perhaps this had something to do with it.
Oct 22, 2008 23:16
GUEST5122 OK. So, you steal the product, and then complain that the rightful owner is invading your privacy by taking steps to ensure that you cease and desist doing so.

Using pirate MS products and invading privacy are two different things. MS can adopt some other methods to combat pirate MS products. However, it shouldn't invade its users' privacy without permission.
Oct 22, 2008 23:19
GUEST5122 What about those users who use genuine MS products? They don't use pirate MS operating system or office software. Should their privacy be invaded?
Oct 23, 2008 08:49
  • CARLOS
As I understand correct, MS is not connecting to pirated computers. Pirated computers connect MS when they are checking for updates. Well, too bad if pirated computer gets an update which changes background black.

Anyway, I understand people who are having pirate system if that´s the only way to them to "computerize" themselves. I know there are plenty of people who could afford genuine but have pirate. Stealing is stealing, but ...

Carlos
Oct 23, 2008 10:22
  • JSUMMERS83
I'm surprised...this forum seems to side with Windows on this issue.

However from what I've read, most Chinese people, including that lawyer in Beijing, are irate about this "horrible atrocity" of Microsoft invading their privacy. Is the media getting this wrong or do we just have more level-headed Chinese folks posting here?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Have your computer been hacked by MS?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code