Menu
Saharov-award to Hu Jia
Oct 23, 2008 10:26
  • CARLOS
European Parliament has given Saharov-human rights award to Hu Jia, a Chinese nonconformist.
Hu Jia is a 36-yo human rights-, environment- and aids-activist, who was convicted to prison for three and a half years last spring. Hu was arrested last year after giving a statement to European parliament about the human rights situation in China.

According to Hans-Gerd Pottering, the spokesman of European Parliament, European Union wants to send a clear message that it supports all who defend human rights in China.

China abjudicated EP:s decision. China had warned beforehand that giving award to Hu would seriously harm the relationship between EU and China. According to a representative of Chinese Foreign Ministry China objects to interventions to its inner affairs using human rights as an excuse.

How do you feel about that?

Tomorrow starts ASEM, Asian and European countries conference in Beijing. Will this damage it?
Oct 23, 2008 18:12
  • WCTMAN
Here we go again. More discussion about the "lack" of basic human rights in China. What is the govt. so worried about? That if a civil law code is drawn to ensure human rights, that "the People" may begin to question the unelected and unaccountable status of their leaders?

Bravo to the EU!
Oct 24, 2008 10:55
  • GRIZ326
In the last 30 years China has done more to improve life for her people than any other country. Is there more to do? Certainly.

I find the arrogance of the west revolting and the social agitation potentially destructive.

I also understand the frustration of idealistic young people who want to live in the sweet land of gum drops right now. IMO, the west is still running a campaign of subversion against that dreaded communist nation, China. I suspect there is a strong possibility that US influences led to the unfortunate happenings in Beijing in the '80s and it appears that more of the west is poised to stir up trouble again.

China is doing fine without the west's political and social intervention.

Perhaps the west should look at its own problems rather than trying to export trouble.
Oct 24, 2008 21:19
  • DODGER
I am pleasantly surprised to see that this thread not been purged from the forum..
I am not a fan of the European Parliament. A fat, overweight bloated institution if ever I saw one. Turning out endless useless petty regulation on a daily basis, choking countries with un-policeable laws.
Run by faceless second rate, unrepresentative public servants who when faced with real decisions to make turn to jelly, with a political agenda known only to them..
The Human rights movement has been high jacked for a long time now by the bleeding heart liberals of the world along with the Environmental movement. They have taken it and distorted it way beyond its real meaning.
I’m the same age as “New China” and still consider myself a work in progress as China is.
It is against the law in most countries to have sex in public but our Governments do it to us every day and we say little.
Perhaps we should clean up our own back yards first before we start criticizing the perceived weeds in others?
Dodger.
Oct 25, 2008 14:06
  • CARLOS
You said it, Dodger.
Here´s some history from 80´s

Oct 25, 2008 14:08
  • CARLOS
20 years later:

Oct 25, 2008 14:10
  • CARLOS
The questioned did not sit on chair, he was chained to the ring on floor

Oct 25, 2008 14:13
  • CARLOS
This is from Gori. I read today from newspaper that Russians attack was in fact an accident. ??

Oct 25, 2008 14:13
  • CARLOS
Gori

Oct 25, 2008 14:16
  • CARLOS
Perhaps I am not perfectly objective, but I think too there is a lot to clean somewhere else too.

Carlos
Oct 27, 2008 21:15
  • JIMMYB
I even heard that Hu Jia might win this year's Nobel Prize of Peace. If he won, I wouldn't be surprised because he had already won Saharov-award.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Saharov-award to Hu Jia
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code