Menu
Should tour guides accept tips?
Oct 30, 2008 02:35
  • CHERRY07
Should tour guides accept tips? Are these tips their legal income? According to the new rule established by Shanxi tourism bureau, a tour guide's wage includes basic wage, compensation, reward for her excellent performance and tips that her clients give to her voluntarily. This means tips has been legalized and become a part of the wage.

As for the legalization of tips, people still have dispute on this. The tour guides are happy because they can earn more. But some tourists object the legalization of tips. It is unfair for them. The service charge has been included in their payments for traveling. Why should they give tips to the tour guides?

What do you think? Are you willing to give tips to your tour guides?
Oct 30, 2008 03:18
  • HUAMULAN
If the clients are happy and feel like to bless the guide, why not? As long as the tips is given voluntarily, I don't see any wrong in doing so. Unless there is law saying that tips is not allowed, but I just don't see why they should prohibit that.

But if the guide or agent, in anyway put it as an obligation for the clients to give tips, that wouldn't be right. I won't give tips eventhough it is legal or even if everyone else gives, unless I want to. No obligation! And all clients should receive the same level of service, whether or not they give tips. It's up to us to practice our rights as consumers.
Oct 30, 2008 03:34
  • GAFFER
I'm not sure what the law is in China regarding tipping but in most countries it is legal but discretionary. If the person providing the service goes beyond what is expected, then perhaps they deserve a personal reward. However, when the employer becomes involved and assumes their staff will receive tips, they will often adjust the salary downwards accordingly. Their excuse being that having to earn tips makes staff work harder to please the customer. This is often the case in the US where tipping is almost mandatory and many staff earn very low hourly rate. 15% seems to be the minimum tip in a restaurant despite the quality of the service. Customers should feel guilt free about offering tips only where they are deserved.
Oct 30, 2008 19:23
  • WANHU
Yes, voluntary tips are acceptable but I will never give tips when asked.
Oct 30, 2008 20:01
  • KATRINA
This means tips has been legalized and become a part of the wage.

I am confused. If the tourists give tips to their tour guides voluntarily, these tips are the tour guide's legal income. So there is no need to legalize this. Aftering reading this rule, I have this feeling: the rule just reminds me to give tips to the tour guides because tips have become a part of their wages.
Oct 30, 2008 23:07
  • DODGER
I don’t mind giving a Tip if I think that the service has been good. What I do object too is it being automatically added to the Bill/Invoice.
I do know that many front desk staff at Hotels in the West earn huge amounts via tipping but they go way above what the job requires..
Dodger.
Nov 6, 2008 22:18
  • JIMMYB
Well, some hotels might give you hint for giving tips. Once I lodged in a hotel, I found that there was an envelop in the room. I don't konw what it is used for. Later on, my friends told me that it is used to collect tips. Very smart.
Post a Reply to: Should tour guides accept tips?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code