Menu
Evicted froma hotel for being a foreigner
Dec 24, 2008 02:34
  • APAULT
I had heard this but I am not sure it is well known by hoteliers. Indeed, it is my belief that most are unaware that they should not normally accept foreigners.
Dec 24, 2008 12:11
  • CANADAGUY
It's interesting to hear all of the explanations for this form of discrimination.
Any country has the right, of course, to do as it chooses, but it still seems like
a slap in the face when it happens to you firsthand.

Last year I experienced this discrimination when I was looking for a hotel in Shanghai
with my Chinese girlfriend. They had no problems giving her a room, but when they
saw me it was game over.

Give the current state of affairs in the country, with its bustling economy (in general)
it becomes increasingly difficult to accept the standard explanations for this two-tier
practice.

After all is said and done, one is left with the impression that it is simply another way
for the country to take advantage of foreigners.

Even in hotels that accept foreigners, my girlfriend was able to 'negotiate' more acceptable
room rates. This shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

Jan 9, 2009 03:28
  • GAFFER
Tourist and local rates for the purchase of anything are not unique to China. Tourists, even in western countries are perceived to have money and will quite happily be ripped off given the chance. They are just easier for traders to identify in Asian countries :o) I leave my Chinese partner to carry out negotiations for any purchase (not least because she is very good at it) and in some circumstances I will stay out of sight until the deal is done. She even negotiates the bus fare from HK airport to GZ.
Jan 9, 2009 23:52
  • CANADAGUY
Thanks for your input Gaffer. It sounds like you've figured out the best way to 'do business' in China. :)
Mar 5, 2009 03:23
  • JOSHIRV57
We always have me wait outside,while the wife negotiates the room.Usually for a cheaper price,and there is never any problems. Most times,we are registered in
her name,as one occupant.
Mar 5, 2009 03:23
  • JOSHIRV57
We always have me wait outside,while the wife negotiates the room.Usually for a cheaper price,and there is never any problems. Most times,we are registered in
her name,as one occupant.
Apr 1, 2009 13:36
  • MAMAHUHU
What is "mai you" dont you mean Mei you. I guess you one of those foreigners that don't have ambition of learning any Chinese in China.
Apr 3, 2009 08:14
  • APAULT
No doubt you are correct...the problem with learning to write in Pinyin is that most words we never see written down.. Mei you is such an example. I have some words I know in Chinese but cannot write in either Chinese or Pinyin, some I know the character but don't know the Chinese word. Chinese children learn thir language with the help of Pinyin so as to have a bridge between the characters and the sounds.

The tones are quite a problem. I cannot hear them (just as I cannot hear whether two consecutive notes in a piece of music went up or down), so naturally I find it just about impossible to say them...especially when I am struggling to get the core sounds right.

So MamaH, it is not that I don't have the ambition to learn, I lack the capability...maybe 'because you can't teach an old dog new tricks' or maybe because the language section of my brain is weak. On the other hand, I believe I have achieved a good understanding of Chinese society and its people, and have become very experienced at travel and making friends in China despite my language handicap; in effect I have built on existing skills and not become dispirited (just saddened) by my lack of achievements in learning the Chinese language.

Apr 24, 2009 01:42
GUESTTAXIGUY Hi guys would just like to welcome myself to the forum you can catch me here a little later on.
Apr 28, 2009 10:04
GUESTTRAVELMAN Some really good stuff here great looking forum will look through more a little later, i drive a taxi in Portugal so if anyone from this forum comes on holiday to the Algarve Portugal, come and have a coffee with me..
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Evicted froma hotel for being a foreigner
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code