Menu
UK regrets bidding for the 2012 Olympic Games
Nov 12, 2008 21:47
  • CRYSTALRING

British Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell has recently admitted that London wouldn’t have bid for the 2012 Olympic Games if they had predicted the economic downturn. Initially, the budget for the games was already tight. Now, the games’ organizers are facing mounting pressures to squeeze the budget in the global financial recession. The motivation for London to host the 2012 Olympics was to rejuvenate “ East End” and boost the country’s economy at large. Right now, it seems that it is a wrong step London has taken. The Games are burdening London. Londoners are caring about jobs and homes but not gold medals.

No Beijing extravaganza, London admitted that 2012 Olympics will be a "austerity games".

Nov 12, 2008 21:57
  • WANHU
Not really a wrong step, because at that time no one predicted such a downturn, but like the old saying goes, the show must go on although without frills, just like low cost flights, still reach its destinations.
Nov 12, 2008 22:19
  • LEONARDO
No one knows what will happen in the future. London does not need to regret its decision. Just show the world that it has ever tried hard.
Nov 12, 2008 22:20
  • FRANKENSTEIN
UK just makes complaints. UK has took this "job" so that it needs to finish it no matter how hard it is.
Nov 13, 2008 02:53
  • AL32
Exactly: review your budget and live with it!!

But saddly, with each new Olympic, we get further and further from the true idea of the games: sports competition not a marketing show and millions spent. I know many people that are no longer watching the Olympics for that very reason. Same for professional sports: don't ask me to cheer for athleetes making tens of millions each year...
Nov 13, 2008 05:48
  • CARLOS
Al, cynical statement...

,,, but so true...

Carlos
Nov 15, 2008 21:13
  • SHESGOTTOBE
UK will be fine. They don't have to produce an extravagant Olympics. I'm sure people all over the world will appreciate it no matter what and I am sure that they will appreciate the use of good judgment in making it simple during these times. Just do what they are supposed to do. Just host and get it over with. They don't have anything to prove.
Post a Reply to: UK regrets bidding for the 2012 Olympic Games
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code