Menu
English name
Nov 17, 2008 09:44
  • WANHU
Most Chinese in the mainland have or use English names, and they are seldom without. Some are using them for commercial or business purposes, so that foreigners can easily remember them, while some others just like to use the English names, even change them a few times.

I know one girl uses her name from Cici, Sara, Shellina to Annie. This is not an isolated case. In my country majority (although not all) of the Chinese use English names because they are Christians, while majority of the Buddhists maintain their Chinese surnames and given names.

Do you know why they like to use English names? Thank you.

Wan
Nov 17, 2008 10:38
  • LIONPOWER
" Chinese use English names because they are Christians" may be this is your country case, really they use English name in China for business purpose. Its my guess.
Nov 17, 2008 20:39
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I think it's for convenience especially if you are dealing with foreigners. When I first met my Chinese friend, he insisted on his English name but I preferred calling him with his Chinese name. So what, I can pronounce it, it is a one syllable name. How hard could it be? O_o
Nov 17, 2008 22:02
  • DODGER
I always get totally confused when I meet friends of my wife and they introduce themselves with an English name because my wife doesn’t know who I am referring to in latter conversations.
Besides, I think names are special. Our parent gave them to us and it doesn’t seem right (to me) to change them like changing a shirt.
Dodger.
Nov 18, 2008 03:10
  • LIZXLI
For me,the Englsih name is used both for daily life and work.
Nov 18, 2008 03:42
  • LLYNN
For communication for my part.
It almost happens (adopting an English name) the time one get touches with English.
Nov 18, 2008 08:45
  • GAFFER
My partner tells me they were given or chose English names when the began learning English in school, and many continued to use them. Is this common?
Nov 20, 2008 11:31
I translated mine into Chinese it came out as Gao Ailang which I quite like, one of my Chinese friends on Facebook now calls me Ailang on my wall.
Alan
Post a Reply to: English name
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code