Menu
Is this a happy marriage?
Nov 22, 2008 00:22
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
A marriage between a girl with bachelor degree in biology and a poor shoe repairer who even doesn’t finish elementary school is a happy marriage?

There is a true story happened in Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong Province. A 28-year-old poor migrating worker Liujian Wen who makes living by repairing shoes on the street in Guangzhou married a girl with bachelor’s degree. Liu Jianwen lost his mother when he was a child. He didn’t finish elementary school. Three years ago, the poor guy went to Guangzhou from his hometown Sichuan to work in shoe-making factory. Unluckily, his father died of lung cancer and his girlfriend dumped him and took away all his money.

Liu was in desperation. He quitted his job. Because he attended only five year’s elementary school, he couldn’t find a good job to make a decent living. He started repairing shoes on the street. He met the girl Luo Shuixiu when she asked him to repair her high-heeled shoes. Day after day, they became familiar with each other. Luo was a university graduate with bachelor’s degree. Her family was relatively well-off. They two were in love. When they decided to get marriged, nobody supported them. In particularly. The girl’s family strongly objected their marriage. Regardless of her parents’ objection, the girl married the poor guy after all.

After marriage,she quitted her job in a company and stayed with his husband when he repaired shoes on the street. They lived in a rented small and lived in austerity. When being asked if she regrets marrying the poor guy, the girl siad she didn’t regret and she believed her poor husband will succeed someday. When their story was published on the Guangzhou Daily, some people mocked the girl and said the girl was in blind love, sooner or later, she will regret. Can such a marriage be happy?

Nov 22, 2008 10:16
  • CARLOS
Perhaps there really is.....love in their marriage...ahhh.

But...if he doesn´t succee?

Carlos
Nov 22, 2008 12:12
  • WANHU
I have seen a couple both graduated from an outstanding university ended their marriage with a divorce. This is indeed not an isolated case. My dad and my mom, neither a graduate got married and were blessed with 10 children, and they were happily married until his demise in 1966. Not having a bachelor degree doesn't mean a person is stupid, probably because he doesn't have the oppotunity (because of certain reasons). Having a tertiary education or not having it, does not promise a good marriage. Having it just an added bonus. In fact with her good educational background, armed with their love, I am sure they will succeed.

Wan
Nov 22, 2008 20:22
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, I am think so Wan Hu, they will success.
Nov 22, 2008 21:40
  • JIMMYB
Maybe, I am too pessimistic. Their marriage might not be as happy as we wish.

Gloomysunday said that the girl quited her job and stayed with his husband when he repaired shoes on the street. I can't understand this. She knows that her husband is poor. In my view, she should have quited her job. Instead, she should work together with her husband to make their livings. She didn't work just because her family was relatively well-off?
Nov 22, 2008 23:19
  • SHESGOTTOBE
What did she really mean by success? She doesn’t really expect him to be a millionaire by repairing shoes, does she? If she loves the guy, then there is nothing for her to regret. I also do not understand why she had to quit her job. Maybe she wants to help him in his ‘business’ and be supportive of him, like do the same thing together. Maybe that is her happiness. Some couples are that way. The disparity in their educational attainment doesn’t matter. If he is a genuinely good and responsible person, then his educational attainment pales in comparison.
Nov 22, 2008 23:43
  • WANHU
Jimmy, staying with her husband while he repairs shoes doesn't mean she's doing nothing. Probably she's assessing the market trends and later will infuse some marketing plan and strategy. Market observation takes time.

Wan
Nov 23, 2008 00:53
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Perhaps the lovely lady quit so that she would not make her husband lose face with her making more money than him.
Nov 24, 2008 20:43
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Bottomline, we really do not know what the deal is. Remember that there are men who do not want their wives to work because of their pride. It doesn't matter if their wages can barely put food on the table. It could be that scenario.
Nov 25, 2008 20:34
  • SUNNYDREAM
What is happiness? Happiness never lends itself to easy definition. Different people define happiness differently. In many of my peers' eyes, it is not happiness at all, but the girl thought it was happiness. That's their choices and we are only bystanders. Love sometimes is ridiculous and irrational in a third person's eyes.
Post a Reply to: Is this a happy marriage?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code