Menu
Discrimination in China why??
Nov 24, 2008 21:39
guest29242 Hi everyone

Firstly before I state my question to the forum I would like to say "sorry" in advance if the statement offends anyone. I am teaching English as a foreign language in China located in the city of Kunming.

I am white therefore stick out from the majority&my best friends who teach in the Yunnan province are English teachers however they are ethnic minorities&we get treated so differently that its offensive. Recently I've been getting many job offers teaching English despite only having 3 months experience&my friends have years of experience however they never get approached&my question to the Chinese is why?

Wherever I go for example any busy public area a curious interest arises&many people want to take me out to dinner, sightseeing, pay me a lot of money to teach their child English&this happens when my friends are with me who don't even get a second look.

I feel awful, last week we went out to a city called Yuxi&all of a sudden many natives approached me to teach them English&one wealthy businessman offered ten times my salary to teach him basic English, but why did no-one ask my friends even though they said that they were teachers.

My friends have so much to offer than I do&my best friend who is a just a inspiration often tells me that if your really good at something then you don't need to shout it out from the rooftop&I shouldn't feel bad because a majority of people in China are not educated enough to realise that there are billions of minorities in the world who are English&it is our role to show the world that yes we can teach, speak&inspire others to learn English.

Discrimination is a huge world wide disease&I just hope that people can get educated enough to help each other rather than helping the first foreign face they see. For example I was having dinner at a colleague's house, when a unexpected neighbour came over&she was told to sit away from us, but I went over&sat next to her&even though we could not speak the same language we ended up laughing a lot&she was more fun than the colleague!

I just don't understand why people treat each other so differently because at the end of the day we are all human beings with needs (Maslow's Hierarchy)
I have never been treated or seen my friends treated so differently&being in China is a real eye opener. If anything I should be discriminated against I consume alcohol&have loud rowdy parties which do get out of hand, where as my friends are so much more respectful of the Chinese&value their culture &do not offend anyone.

I am just looking for some answers if there are any, especially from Chinese natives and why some of them have this discriminating attitudewhy do they look at Western people with such awe and inspiration? Also what do the Chinese think or assume of Ethnic minorities who come to China from abroad?

C.Ghost
Nov 24, 2008 23:22
  • WANHU
1) Majority of the Chinese people have high regards for native speakers of English. Every English speaking native is very proficient and knows everything about English. That is why, a person without proper academic qualification can land a good teaching job in china comparatively with a local graduate with English major.
2) We used to have that kind of perception for foreigners, and even I was taught basic English for a couple of years by 2 American and Canadian Peace Corps in the 60's. Even local teachers with Kirby graduates were looked with awe. This perception slowly withers when more students are sent overseas and people in my country can speak English well, from government employees, students to night market sellers.
3) Perhaps this is not a discrimination but rather a priority and appreciation.
4) When my younger sister in-law, a Chinese looking girl, teaches English at UCLA, students are unhappy because they prefer white Americans, they (the students and not the faculty members) try to find faults with her and never succeed. This, to me is discrimination. How about my sister in-law? To her, students come and students go, she has tried her best to render her service with responsibility
Wan
Dec 15, 2008 20:56
  • ALLYHOUSE
Dear C.Ghost ,

From your message ,I could see you are a nice,warm heart,commiserative....etc.person....I know I have something to learn from you.You make me seeing through my heart and my selfish inside....These words from my deep heart and genuine...

But for your friend's situation and what you experiences,All I have to do is "sigh".......

I suggest one book to your friend : "the power of now",hope he can tolerate here and accept and forgive.^_^...But I know you know what to do.

Please be patient!!Thank you.

I just tried to speak something,but I felt so upset right now.....maybe I was the one who treated your friend like that and I always treat the british and white well.....I also have to meditate myself....

Wu
Dec 17, 2008 22:56
GUEST30157 Hi everyone I am one of the ' ethnic friends' stated above that C.Ghost has been talking about. I felt it is my duty to reply &C.G has permitted me to use her forum email&this opportunity to reply my thoughts.

Firstly I am proud to be bi-racial, the universe has created many races&being born as a minority is a privilege¬ a burden. I have faced discrimination not only in China but all over the world as sometimes people find it difficult to open their mind to many things in life especially ethnic groups but its ok as we are all here in this world for a reason.
Years ago I found it upsetting when I was treated in a negative way from my western friends&despite the fact I tried to hide my sorrow,I learn a very valuable lesson every time. When your comfortable in your own body, your whole spiritual being then there is no need to feel that you are any less or more than anyone else.

In this life we all have the exact same needs, love, shelter, food, water,without these we will not survive&it doesn't matter how rich or famous you are. Life is a circle&we all change, grow, develop&learn something along life’s journey but its about how you carry yourself&your attitude to life. If you get on with life then life will get on with you but if you have negative thoughts or feelings against anyone or anything then it will always cloud your judgement.
I don't feel any unkindness for anyone who judges me based on race because I know that I have much to offer. I can educate others in many ways&don't want to raise the flag on my accomplishments, if you look at any of the greatest people of the world you will notice they all have one thing in common which is humbleness. I am often the silent person in a group but when I have something useful to say I will but if I don't then I sit back& allow others to be in their glory because I know who I am&don’t need to act so that others accept me.

China has been kind&gracious to me&in return I intend on doing the same for the countr& its people, if I am ignored by natives while my friends are noticed then so be it, there is always a time and place for each individual to be noticed&heard so anyone who feels ignored should always remember that your time will come but only with grace, honour& respect for others.

Anyone who feels that they’ve upset any ethnic person please do not feel bad because there is no need for me to forgive you as you’ve not made any errors. All I ask is you open your heart to everyone as you never know when a time may come in life that you will have to depend on someone who you never acknowledged before. We all together can create a better place on this earth&I am not saying it will be perfect but it would be pleasant to help each other out as when it comes to the end of our journey on earth what do we take with us? nothing but hopefully a better soul to another place.

Asia xxx
Dec 18, 2008 10:45
  • APAULT
This is not racial discrimination, it is simply employers and individuals seeking the most suitrable for the job. Unfortunately, there are few Chinese who speak English 'like a native speaker', and few Chinese teachers have the same teaching skills as experienced foreign teachers. The third reason is not exactly discrimination, but marketing: the employers want foreigners as a status symbol so that they can justify some of the absurd fees they charge (clearly I am not refering to govt run schools and colleges).

The absurditry is (tho maybe it just further proof of my third point) that employers then won't use our experience and skills, so that when we make a suggestion it is answered with 'you don't understand Cinese culture'. My usually unspoken answer is that 'you don't understand 'world's best practice'. F..k culture, copy the best methods wherever they come from!
Dec 18, 2008 11:05
  • WANHU
If everyone thinks about his life journey that shall end, and inquire within: what have we contributed to the society? Then we would have lovely life on this troubled earth. Man is judged by his good deeds and not the colour of his skin. Yes, when I leave this world I want it to be with clear conscience, that I have contributed something and at least someone has benefitted something from my contribution; thus I despair not but look forward with hope that probably I would have a better after life.
Wan
Dec 23, 2008 08:17
GUESTCHOOCHY Does this happen everywhere in China? as I have been stuck here miserable unemployed in England last six months waiting for someone to buy my house and soon the house selling season is here I hope it sells and I will be on the next plane to China although I have no qualifications to teach but am native Englishman.

Choochy not logged in
Dec 24, 2008 02:27
  • APAULT
Choochy. You should be able to get a job OK. If you don't have a degree you will probably have most success with private language centres. If you have you can potentially get a job in schools or uni's.

I can't blame you for wanting to get away from Pommieland - I have never regretted leaving 25 years ago.
Dec 25, 2008 03:56
GUEST83094 Thanks again but my brother says I need a degree to get a visa.

Choochy
Dec 26, 2008 01:51
  • APAULT
It is not true. You can get a work visa without a degree, though I have heard there is some tightening up on this for Z visas. You are not easily going to get a job in a government run school as they will usually require the degree.

The biggest opportunities for you are likely to be in private language centres, and private kindies. Most will not be able to get you a Z visa biut should be able to get you an F visa - not strictly entitling you to work, but many people work on them often with the local authority knowing.
Dec 26, 2008 14:40
  • CHOOCHOO
OK
Looks like good news Apault
perhaps we meet if I get there in 2009 if your in Guangdong.

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Discrimination in China why??
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code