Menu
Advise on moving to Sanya
Nov 27, 2008 02:06
guest21899 My husband and I will be moving in early 2009 to Sanya from Australia and I would like some input as to what we should and should not bring with us when we relocate. We are able to relocate our household goods but I dont want to bring items needlessly. I have no idea what stores there are in Sanya- eg Ikea etc so would we be wise to bring whatever furniture we like or is there a good selection in Sanya? How about bedding, towels etc?
We are relocating from the tropics so its not as if we are moving to a totally different climate but I realise Sanya isn't Shanghai either so just dont want to be kicking myself that I've brought items unnecessarily and left behind stuff I should have brought -if you get my drift :-)
Thanks
Nov 29, 2008 02:33
GUEST40145 I am in a similar position as the original post, so could someone elaborate on this please. What should we do/don't bring, etc.

Thanks a lot...

P.S. GUEST21899... Have you figured out living arrangements yet. Any suggs/recommendations? Feel free to email at gmail.com|jjimenezcn . Bye
Nov 29, 2008 10:27
  • JABAROOTOO
NO Ikea but you might want to buy a bench top oven before you arrive or pick one up from Guangzhou otherwise good furniture and bedding are available and most apartments come completely decorated with all that stuff.

The Russians have helped Sanya become quite civilized so don;t worry too much about the big items. It's mostly those handy kitchen gadgets that you might find hard to find
Nov 29, 2008 11:35
GUESTFRA123 (quite civilized)?????

insulting and not so caring !!!

are russians civilized people?
Nov 29, 2008 12:20
  • APAULT
Kitchen gadgets? YES, if you liked mashed spuds you must bring a masher - I have never seeen one for sale in China, tho maybe Carrefour has them (there is one in Haikou, but I don't know about Saanya).

Realistically, Sanya has everything that other Chinese towns have, which means a few things you are used to will not be available.
Nov 30, 2008 06:43
GUEST28202 Thank you so much for your informative replies.
As I am an avid cook i will be packing my Thermomix!! - though both my husband and i also like to eat out:-) As I am Australian I love to barbeque and I was thinking of bringing a Webber Baby Q but wasnt sure about the compatibility of the gas connection?
Re purchasing goods from Guangzhou-is that only feasable for smallish items or is it also cost effective to purchase and ship larger items such as furniture?
The employer is providing accomodation and I can see by Googling that most accom is furnished but as they are paying to move our household goods I have the opportunity to bring my own furniture but dont want to bring superfulous stuff.
I would also like some feedback on flights in and out of Sanya-major routes, airlines and costs? Also if there are any direct flights from Sanya to Vietnam?
Thank you again for the great feedback-I have been searching on the internet and this was the best "expats in China" I could find!!
Dec 1, 2008 07:17
  • JABAROOTOO
No Carrefour in Sanya yet but the Nanguo supermarket has a good product range

If you are staying long term and company is paying to move your furniture then you could bring it but you may find that the stuff here can be just as nice. Ikea has good range but you would have to have it shipped in from Guangzhou. Google their site ans see what they offer.

Use links above to search flights. BBQ's are available here so might be best to wait and buy one here so as not to have connection problems
Jan 4, 2009 16:31
GUEST08123 hi I was there one year ago for 4 weeks and left after 3 weeks , sanya is nice for a few days or for a week , after that i could not stand it , just try to take a taxi or try to get anything the cheat you all day long , just bring lots of Money , its not a good place if you ask me , i like guangzhou much more . but you will find out at the airport when you take a taxi the will cheat you there . a normal taxi to sanya should be not more than 35 rmb but the will ask for 100 or more . Or try to make to do any business , good luck.
Ludwig.

Jan 9, 2009 08:29
I've been coming to Sanya for the last 5 'winters' (Aug. through Mar.) and, once we (quickly) learned the 'rules', had absolutely no problem with real estate scams, people cheating and taxi drivers 'taking you for a ride'.

Although I do not speek mandarin, so far I had no (big) problem getting aroud. On th other hand, perhaps I'm exagerating a little the level of my tourist's skills, as my wife is chinese (;-))!

Maybe one case study: the Versailles restaurant is a nice place where to enjoy a wide varitey of foods and pay reasonable prices once youe learned their 'system'. It has two identical menu sets, hard to tell apart. When I came with my friends, they gave us the expensive one. Once my wife came there with a relative of hers, we learned that they were given a menew with half prices requested for the same dishes! I dont' think this is a big reason to complain about: it's mostly up to you to learn how to get around here!

My oly probelm, as I have a lot of time on my hands is to find same minded people who speak english and don't have to rush when they want to enjoy tee or cofee!

Have fun (in Sanya)!

Gm.

Jan 10, 2009 03:31
  • GAFFER
Chinese apartment rooms can be quite small (especially in comparison with Australian and US). Western furniture might prove rather bulky. If your husband is moving before you or if you can get room dimensions beforehand it would be useful before deciding to ship furniture.
Jan 10, 2009 06:54
  • JABAROOTOO
Just for the record,

Taxi cheating scam happens at every Chinese airport and most likely other countries too. Stay clear of the tourist attractions, there is plenty else to see.

Sanya is one of the few places in China where you don't feel like a foreigner all the time. It is generally the Chinese tourists in Sanya that make a big deal about seeing a foreigner. It may be a first for some of them. Going to the beach often is a first for them too.

I'm arriving in Sanya again this coming week and staying for more than a month. I'm looking forward to some sunshine, warm weather and a warm welcome. Great food and good coffee. Hainan has some great coffee
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Advise on moving to Sanya
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code