Menu
Street kitchens
Feb 13, 2005 08:29
  • SPORTENNIS
On an earlier post, Mermaid and Elcabron both mentioned the street kitchen foods as being delicious and cheap (How much is 2 kuai to the US dollar?). Because I love to experience good authentic regional foods, can anyone tell me what to look for and what I might want to try. I'll be in Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Guillin and Hong Kong during my travel. Are the "street kitchens" every where or do I have to go to certain parts of the city to find them? What are they like?

Feb 13, 2005 10:06
  • MERMAID
1USD=CNY8.23
Feb 13, 2005 10:13
  • MERMAID
In Xi'an you can try Liang Pi, cold steamed rice noodle.
In Guilin, rice noodle.In Shanghai, steamed buns.
You can judge whihc kitchen is bettr by how many people are there.

Of course in towndown area, you will find malls offering such snacks or areas in commercial center.

Another place is around universities. You ca find cluster after cluster of snack kitchens.
Feb 13, 2005 17:41
  • ELCABRON
Yes,

mermaid knows how things run.
In Xian I remember some alleys in the muslim quarter somewhere behind the great mosque, there were many good street kitchens!
But because Chinese love to eat, you can find snacks everywhere.
kuai means yuan RMB

Oh, Hong Kong is more expensive. Actually the most expensive city in China.
Feb 14, 2005 09:37
  • MERMAID
Yes everything in Hong Kong is expensive. So you can save money by tasting all the snacks in Guangzhou. The two places share the same cuisine styles. However, locals in Guangzhou say there is nothing good in Guangzhou-u got to taste the snacks in the surround cities like Shunde, Foshan, Nanhai! But to me, it is already too tasty!!!
Try fried rice noodle, the slim one, super delicious!
Feb 14, 2005 11:53
  • RMAYEKAR
Oh my! Street food is sooooo good! In Beijing, I remember always eating delicious baozi and jaozi. Also, there are these great egg pancake type things. They spread the batter really thin like a crepe and put some great fixings and seasonings on them. Also, the ultimate is kabobs! If there is one thing I miss... it's those. I'm drooling right now just thinking about it! Each kabob was 1 kuai. The street food is so cheap and so delicious and it's always piping hot so you don't have to worry about anything. Have fun on your gastronomic journey!
Feb 14, 2005 12:00
  • MERMAID
and u can always ask for more garlic for hygiene consideration.
Feb 15, 2005 05:56
  • FIDLA
They're everywhere. Seriously. Literally everywhere. You don't have to go far to find them.
Feb 15, 2005 09:12
  • SPORTENNIS
FIDLA,

What do you recommend? And, were you in China on business, study, or pleasure? I'm asking because I am planning a trip for this summer and want to know as much as I can and I am curious about one's travel to China.

Thanks,

Brent
Feb 15, 2005 12:24
  • FIDLA
Brent,

Seriously, these little portable kitchens are everywhere. Just don't eat the meat or fish. There is very little refrigeration and they're version of hygiene is to wipe it off with a rag before cooking.

But there's nothing better than Chinese food in China. The vegetables are gorgeous - have you seen Chinese carrots? Beautiful! And the fruit is mouth-watering. You can fill up a shopping cart with fresh vegetables and fruit and tofu, enough to feed 2 people for a week for about $15 USD. Amazing. Simply amazing.

No I go to China for business AND pleasure. I know it sounds from my posts like I'm complaining, but I'm really not. I think China's an amazing country. So much to offer, and the people are generous, kind, helpful and endearing (those that are not trying to get your American dollars, that is).

Feb 15, 2005 12:30
  • MERMAID
I agree the hygiene condition is not that ideal but if u miss Kebab or roasted fish, it would be a pitty. dont worry too much. the dressings and the high temperature of fire can kill bacteria.

As to fridge, we Chinese think everything frozen is not that delicious or nutrient, that's all.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Street kitchens
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code