Menu
What does authentic Tiramisu look like?
Dec 13, 2008 01:01
  • XIAOXIAO
Forgive my ignorance! My friend invited me to her house for dinner. At dinner, she served a special cake which tasted good. I asked her what it was. She told me that it was called Tiramisu. She said that she made it herself and it was not very authentic.

I am curious what the authentic Tiramisu look like. Anyone can share me some photos?

Dec 13, 2008 04:38
  • WANHU
There are many types of Tiramisu layer cake. One of its important ingredients is its low fat cheese called Mascarpone. I am sure there are hundreds of recipes you can download from the internet.

In my country, most bakeries and pastries sell one-pound cake at 90-120RMB, while college or university hotel sells it at 70RMB, one slice (1/6th) costs 8RMB. If you're staying nearby, I would have sent one to you.

Wan

Dec 13, 2008 10:59
  • CARLOS
I found this, it looks very alike the one my mother makes and she says it definitely is the original Tiramisu.
Is it really, donĀ“t know.

Carlos

Dec 14, 2008 19:31
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Hmm... you'd have to go to Italy to get the really authentic tiramisu. :P
Dec 15, 2008 00:32
  • JIMMYB
Tiramisu means "Pick me up" in Italian. There is a romantic love story about Tiramisu:

During the First World War, a Italian soldier was going to war. His wife wanted to prepare some food for her beloved. But she found that there was nothing else at home. She didn't have time to prepare delicious cake for him so she used all biscuits, bread, eggs and cocoa to make a special cake. This special cake was full of her love to her husband. When he ate it, he would remember that there was a beautiful girl who was waiting for him at home.

Very romantic, isn't it?
Dec 15, 2008 08:36
  • PRIMROSE
IT is realy romantic and you should tell me how can i prepare it . in easy way and wuth picture .......................
Dec 16, 2008 12:01
  • WANHU
There are tiramisu cake, tiramisu ice cream, tiramisu iced latte, etc. I like tiramisu iced latte.
Wan

Dec 16, 2008 13:00
  • SETH
From Wikipedia: For many years, different sources (from Vin Veneto, dated 1981, to the Italian Academy of Giuseppe Maffioli and several cuisine websites) gave evidence that tiramisu was born in Treviso at "Le Beccherie" restaurant in the hands of the confectioner Roberto Linguanotto, also known as Loli. Different stories report the creation of the cake to have been born in the city of Siena. Some confectioners were said to have created it in honour of Cosimo III on the occasion of his visit to the city. These days, the cake is characterised by a delicate and intense taste. In order to prepare it, according to the original recipe, the following ingredients are needed: Savoiardi biscuits, eggs, sugar, rum and cocoa. In the original recipe, there was no liquor as the cake was originally aimed at children and the elderly and the original shape was round. The name Tiramisu is Italian and means "pull-me-up" (Tirami su), a reference to the effects of the sugar and espresso, and can be translated figuratively as "pick-me-up".

Typical ingredients would be 2 cups of strong black coffee, 1/2 cup marsala or brandy liquor, 4 eggs (separated), 1/4 cup caster sugar, 500g mascarpone, 300ml lightly whipped thickened cream (optional), 2 packets of sponge fingers (savoiardi), cocoa (for dusting) and chocolate flakes.

Dec 17, 2008 00:32
GUEST32201 Mr Seth, Wikipedia is not a reliable reference source
Dec 17, 2008 10:10
  • PRIMROSE
SETH first thank you for this ..scond, may you tell me what is Savoiardi biscuits ??I am not from italic or china and this is the first time that I hear it > and what you mean by (marsala or brandy liquor) and (mascarpon) .
Dec 17, 2008 10:41
  • WANHU
Which part of Saudi you're residing Primrose? Savoiardi is a spomgy biscuit that looks like large finger, which you can find in Bin Dawood superstore (as the picture per attached). Marsala is a name of a wine (which is prohibited for the Muslims to consume). Mascarpone is a low fat cheese.
Wan

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What does authentic Tiramisu look like?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code