Menu
Taking food into China
Dec 19, 2008 05:16
guestAnnie Hello,

I'm travelling from Australia and am looking for information in regard to taking certain products into China.

Is it allowable to take sealed (cryopac) plum pudding, carton of long life cream, sealed block of cheese, homemade chocolate cake, banana muffins and choc chip biscuits?

Would any of those products require a customs declaration?

Thank you.
Dec 19, 2008 19:40
  • GRIZ326
I've brought all sorts of food products into China: homemade smoked salmon, canned venison, canned antelope, venison jerky, venison sausage sticks, jellies, candies and even more than the allowable quantity of cigars.

Chinese customs has never been a problem.

However, with some of the troubles over the economy and other internal concerns, you may face more scrutiny than I have in the past.
Dec 19, 2008 22:07
GUESTANNIE Thanks for your reply Griz. I think I'll get baking and worry about things, if need be, when I go through customs next week.
Dec 19, 2008 23:00
  • ELLYSE
No problem usually. Bring it in checked luggage.
Dec 20, 2008 02:24
  • WANHU
Australia indeed is very strict about food coming in. I have had that experience when one of my friends was charged with false declarations. In China, I have been stopped by China customs at the airport when some products are packed in the cartons/boxes but not the travelling bags. But they were never be confiscated.

Wan
Dec 20, 2008 22:27
  • CROSIS
Last October I brought two large bags of assorted Kiwi goodies for a chap staying in Shanghai. They were in my suitcase and while inspected was not held up at all.

Ironically returning back to NZ with no food, they even inspected a souvenir fan!
Dec 21, 2008 07:39
  • JABAROOTOO
I also bring all sorts of home cooked goodies and other not to easy to find ingredients from Australia. I never declare them and I've never been checked.

Bake to your hearts content. You can get long life cream and cheese here unless you are heading for the sticks. But is is easier to bring a small stash with you and since the weather is cold there will be no problems with refrigderation.
Post a Reply to: Taking food into China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code