Menu
Not Looking For Companion, Looking For Suggestions.
Dec 28, 2008 00:41
guest34245 Not Looking For Companion, Looking For Suggestions.(Shenzhen)
Ni hao, wo jiao guest 287635428005 or something, ren shi ni hen gao xing!

Ok so basically I've been speaking with someone online now for a couple months and have been learning Mandarin as well,which I have found to be extremely difficult by the way.I will be heading to Shenzhen for vacation to meet this girl and was wondering if anyone here is famaliar with the area and has any good suggestions.I already am aware that my host is from this city but I was hoping I could maybe surprise her.

So where are the places to: eat, have fun, relax, stay away from, photograph?

I was also wondering if there were any really historic or must see spots in the immediate area.I have never been to Zhong Guo before and am very excited, any input would be greatly appreciated.

xie xie!
Dec 28, 2008 01:16
  • ELLYSE
No offence, but have you not heard of the existence of destination information, or guidebooks, in print and online? It sounds like you're looking for basic, general information and you should do some reading up first.
Dec 28, 2008 01:32
GUEST34245 none taken, maybe you are right but I was hoping for some insight from a shenzhen native who's understanding of the city may be greater than that of online travel pamphlet's.
Maybe i came to the wrong place,I mean it is TRAVEL Q&A and all. lol, just messing with you.
Dec 28, 2008 02:16
  • WANHU
After surprising the girl, perhaps she has time to show you around Shenzhen, as she is from this city. Hope you have a nice trip.
Wan
Dec 28, 2008 02:30
GUEST34245 WANHU SAID:
"After surprising the girl, perhaps she has time to show you around Shenzhen, as she is from this city. Hope you have a nice trip.
Wan"

ok, so how do you suggest I go about "surprising" her han?
Dec 28, 2008 08:00
  • JABAROOTOO
Qing ai de ke wei,

Huan ying zai Zhongguo

By surprise, can we take it that you mean to surprise her by 'knowing' something about her hometown or is it that you are going to turn up on her doorstep kind of surprise????

Shenzhen, if you haven't already discovered is a pretty new city, grown up out of a fishing town so besides some nice parks and modern attractions it is not re known for anything special except the rapid growth of the population, economy and theft on the streets. Or so I hear.

As you also may have noticed there are very few members from Shenzhen, locals or otherwise so suggest that you 'google' for Shenzhen expat sites. Try this one for starters

http://www.shenzhenstuff.com

You will also discover that most Chinese have a very different opinion about most things, and that reflects in what is considered worthy of our interest. So just have a good search here and other online sites and take it as it comes.

You really don't need to impress her or surprise her with what you know. She'll just be thrilled that you have visited her. Let her show you around and be surprised but do keep asking questions that may help to discover more about the district.

Remember you will be close to Huizhou which has a little of historic interest and some nicer beaches nearby up the coast and of course Guangzhou, Zhaoxing and several other of Guangdong's more famous places are not too far away if you are staying long enough to see them.

All the best and enjoy your first visit to Zhongguo
Dec 28, 2008 10:29
  • WANHU
Well, Guest34245, it's what you said, hoping maybe to surprise her. I don't really know what's your element of surprise.

Shenzhen has 6 districts, and from my observations, only 2 districts are full of people and shoppers, namel Futian and Luohu. Other districts mostly with factories or some technological parks. Window of the World is in Nanshan, it's a nice place to see all representatives of almost every nation. All these can be retrieved online and from members and guests' previous posts, threads and responses. Shenzhen is a gateway to Hong Kong. Many Shenzheners complained about high cost of living, so you go to HK first and you can compare and contrast the living cost between HK and SZ.

Wan
Dec 28, 2008 10:50
GUEST34245 Thank you very much Jabarootoo and Wan.And yes jabarootoo by surprise I did mean knowing something about the area so maybe I could bring her to a really nice restaurant unexpectedly.Ellyse, I have also been trying to find info on shenzhen as well,and have found a site called shenzhenstuff.com, so when ever they decide to send me my confirmation e-mail maybe that could be of use.Once again thank you all for your input, if anyone else has anything to share let me know.
Dec 30, 2008 07:50
  • APAULT
Shenzhen is not really a tourist city, except perhaps for HOng Konger who want to come shopping. It is modern and from most westerners' point of view it is rather sterile. I agree 100% with Jabaroo that your Chinese host will recommend things that you do not rate highly, and if you make suggestions she will be totally puzzled. She is likely to recommend Windows to the World, a theme park with miniature world attractions, such as the Eiffel Tower, Tower of Pisa, Sydney Harbour Bridge. For a Chinese unable to travel overseas this is a fantastic park, but to an experienced world traveller...hmm! Best advice, if SHE wants to go to see it herself, go!!

I don't know Sz well, but I have found a few quiet places. Eg around the area east of 'the Window', the expat Chinese area of Hua Qiao Cheng. There is the old botanical expo park and a small area of rennovated warehouses turned into galleries, restuarnts and bars, and a wetlands. I stayed at the Loft Youth Hostel in that area (near Qiao Cheng Dong metro station) which has a display map of several interesting nearby locations and enjoyed a few slow days in its leafy suburb.
Feb 1, 2009 08:21
  • JOSHIRV57
APAULT and ELLYSE again you miss the point and the questions as well. Its a miracle that your experiences are so forthcoming to innocent starngers,asking
innocent questions. No one wants a dialogue,everytime they ask a question.If you have no facts to relay dont suggest that they do something you should be doing.
before you offer your comments,which are value-less and very extreme in showing people you have no character at all between the two of you. See,there is no
such opinion of this writer given to anyone except to you two.
Feb 1, 2009 21:34
  • ELLYSE
Looks like Joshirv57 is having some free time on his hands. Nothing better to do nor anything constructive to contribute, other than random complaints about me and Apault.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Not Looking For Companion, Looking For Suggestions.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code