Menu
Translation Software
Jan 11, 2009 15:55
  • JHAMMER
Can someone tell me the software I need for Windows 2003 that will provide the following functions:

1. Translate entire ( written ) paragraphs from Mandarin to English

2. Translate entire ( written ) sentences from English to Mandarin

3. Allow me to type pinyin ( instant messenger or qq preferred ) and have it produce Hanzi on the fly.

Thanks for any help.
Jan 12, 2009 08:35
  • JABAROOTOO
Doubt that you can get a GOOD all in one

For writing Hanzi I use a downloadable programme called 'SoguoInput'

For translation of phrases, sentences, I haven't tried whole paragraphs

I use http://www1.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

But I also check everything as much as I can using my 'Pleco Dictionary' software

Perhaps others have a better option .......................Let's see what else is out there
Jan 12, 2009 20:10
  • JHAMMER
Thanks. I found that bablyon is doing an OK job for now. It can translate whole paragraphs too. I haven't found a Pinyin to Hanzi solution just yet, so may try out Soguolnput soon. I have downloaded QQPinyin, but it doesn't seem to work at the moment, will keep trying.
Jan 12, 2009 21:15
  • ZOEY
Soguolnput? I guess it should be SougouInput, right? It is good. By the way, it offers you different kinds of skins which look very beautiful. Here is another option: you can try Google PinyinInput as well. It is not as beautiful as SougouInput but very practical. QQ Pinyin is said to imitate Sougou Input. Many people criticize QQ for copying Sougou Input.

As for translation software, you might try KingSoft Powerword. Here are many versions. I suggest you try Google-Kingsoft edition. It is free and designed for personal use.
Jan 17, 2009 03:51
  • JABAROOTOO
'SoguoInput' is the correct name of this software from Sohu.com

but Google 'pinyinInput' is also just as good.
Jan 17, 2009 11:22
  • JHAMMER
Wo xie pinyin, wo de PC bu kan Han zi.

I know this will be easy once I figure out how to get it to function.

With the risk of sounding like an episode of "What's my Line".

Does this work in google search page ?

Does this work in gmail ?

Does this work in any web form like this ?

Will it work in Yahoo messenger ?

I installed googlepinyin from here: http://www.google.com/ime/pinyin/
And I tried the above programs.
Apparently the instructions say use CTRL+SHIFT key.
And so far no luck.

So, then I looked in several areas of preferences and languages with the above programs, even changed my entire browser to Simplified Chinese ( that scares me, because that's not what I want, and I'm not good at reading it ) so I quickly recalled how to set it back.

Any help is appreciated. It seems I am very close. Please remember I will be sunk if my whole PC changes to Han Zi.

Thanks for the help.
Feb 15, 2009 11:41
  • TINMAN
hello hammer...just started browsing/ saw your post. Have you found anything easy and practical?....have been using alta fish for several years...my gal doen'nt have much english capapbility yet, and my pinyin is awful. Ronn
Mar 5, 2009 04:17
GUESTJOHNNY D I have a question which is similar, but maybe not identical. I want to find a way of translating English sentences (not just words) into Pinyin. I have found lots of online dictionaries which translate words, and some which translate pre-set sentences, but I have not found any software that will allow me to enter my own sentences and have them translated directly into Pinyin.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Apr 14, 2009 16:36
GUEST03249 Yeah i've been looking i can't find anything, i used google translate but that's a direct translate of each word so it's not exactly correct all the time
Apr 15, 2009 23:31
  • STMON99
I know of no software to translate from English to pinyin, but what I would do is translate from English to Chinese using Google translate, and then use this pronunciation tool to convert to pinyin, so it's two steps:

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/pinyin.html

As for the original question, I find the built in Microsoft IME works very well at typing pinyin to convert to Chinese on the fly. Just make sure you install the East Asian languages packages to be able to use it.
May 24, 2009 04:11
GUEST02217 Hi
Just reading this forum i am also trying to find a pinyin to english translation software with no luck.
English to pinyin/chinese though i would not be without MDBG chinese reader. i write to my chinese girfriend in chinese with it and she says the wording is always correct so cant get a better recommendation than that. it will also scan any chinese writing simplified or traditional and give pinyin and english as you scan the text. you can highlight whole paragraphs as well and write whole paragraphs for translation. Hope this helps regards Gary

http://us.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=chinese_dictionary_windows
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Translation Software
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code