Menu
Chinese People Versus Americans
Jan 15, 2009 12:11
  • KERS7754
Like I said in an eariler post, I am going to be taking my first trip to China alone in a few weeks.

I was interested in better understanding how Chinese men and women feel about Americans in general.

Although a person is smart, people are dumb. Much of the world has ill feelings towards "Americans" as a country, but I don't know how that equates down to the person level.

Also, in general, how well does a Chinese person between the ages of 20-30 speak English?

Thanks!
Jan 15, 2009 18:13
  • WCTMAN
At the personal level, the Chinese have no feelings at all towards or about the fact that you are American, Canadian, British, Australian, or just "foreign"; you are just a native English speaker. This culture is absolutely apolitical, and you will be greeted and treated like a person, and not as an American.

Despite massive exposure to English in schools, don't expect too much from the average 20 to 30 year old. This group may have been reasonably conversant at one point, but if they are out of school, and don't work in a foreign company, chances are very good that they will not have used English for long periods of time, and so will be rusty. But, due to sheer numbers alone, and given that those who are comfortable with English want to meet you, you will find them.

Jan 15, 2009 19:36
  • BRUTUS
The majority of Chinese will just think you are all "foreign devils" regardless your nationality. Don't talk about stupid stuff like "democracy" ,"free tibeet" and you are just gonna have a great time. If you can't help; talking about these stuff , ok ,make some open-minded and intelligent friends and have a discussion with them.
About English , few Chinese speak good English , anyway it doesn't prevent you from having a good time shopping , dining and clubbing.
Jan 16, 2009 02:55
  • LETITBE
KERS7754
i think some americans are proudful..
even though an american boy said that..2
-
which part of china are u going to?
i only know most hongkong people in the street can speak english but with hongkong accent
i dont konw if u can understand us..lol
but in other parts of china...i think hm..
i cant understand even i'm a chinese...
lolllll
Jan 16, 2009 06:43
  • KERS7754
Thanks for the kind words. I guess I am a little concerned since I will be traveling to such a strange land (strange meaning so different than my own) by myself, so thanks for the kind words. I will be traveling to Beijing and Shanghai for my first trip.
Jan 16, 2009 23:11
  • GRIZ326
You'll have a blast. If you are cordial and polite many Chinese people will enjoy helping you. You'll need to be street-smart and especially careful if you go clubbin' ... Shanghai and Beijing are big cities so don't under-estimate your potential to find trouble if you try to party like you might in the US.

Send me a message, I'd be glad to help if I can.
Jan 17, 2009 00:10
  • KERS7754
Thanks! I am actually pretty laid back and not much of a clubbin' kind of guy.
Jan 19, 2009 21:32
  • LEONARDO
>>Although a person is smart, people are dumb. Much of the world has ill feelings towards "Americans" as a country, but I don't know how that equates down to the person level.<<

Hi KERS7754,
Probably, you are partly right for your words "Much of the world has ill feelings towards "Americans" as a country". Personally, I don't have such ill feelings towards "USA as a country" and its people. In my personal interaction with the average Americans, all of them I encountered made good impressions on me. They are as friendly and kind as most Chinese people. The prevailing media's portrait of the average people of both two countries has actually exaggerated the difference between two people. Media's reports are often controled over by political cells, and they have political agenda and usually wear ideological lens. My suggestion is: "you have to totally immerse yourself in a strange land in order to understand it ( especially its people and culture) well". Come to China, you will feel what are China and its people like.
Welcome to China! Have a good trip!
Jan 20, 2009 02:09
  • INSOMNIA
take care of your belongings in China, I lost everything even I was a quite careful person.

By the way I am in Hong Kong, please let me know if you come and want to get some informations about Hong Kong.

Have a nice trip! share with us when you back :)
Jan 20, 2009 10:12
  • KERS7754
Well put Leonardo.

Thanks Insomnia, I will be extra careful!
Jan 20, 2009 20:19
  • YINDUFFY
You will be judged by who YOU are and how You act. The people you meet will mostly admire America but don't boast.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese People Versus Americans
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code