Menu
money questions
Jan 16, 2009 07:11
  • KERS7754
Can I pay with USD anywhere in China?

Can I pay with my debit / credit card at some places and does it make sense to do that (is it safe)?

What is the best way to carry cash?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jan 16, 2009 09:18
GUEST17126 My experience as a solo traveller is that you can only pay in cash. Only shops catering for foreigners accept foreign credit cards. Most hotels take foreign credit cards though, but check first. I don't think you can pay with USD anywhere. However it is easy to change money in Bank of China and you can use ATMs of several banks (Bank of China, China Merchants Bank for example) to withdraw cash. So my suggestion is to bring a couple of ATM cards and withdraw money for a few days. China is relatively safe so you don't have to worry about being robbed. In fact I have seen Chinese people come to the bank with a huge stack of banknotes in a plastic bag! Enjoy your trip
Jan 16, 2009 10:13
  • DAVID5
I doubt you can use USD anywhere but there are lots of currency exchanges in major cities...not so much in rural areas and that goes for credit cards as well.

As for debit, I'm pretty sure your American debit cards wont work
Jan 16, 2009 10:37
  • GRIZ326
Your ATM bank card (debit card) will work fine at the Bank of China and a number of other banks to withdraw cash. Your ATM bank card will not work for *purchases*. USD doesn't spend in China, it must be converted to RMB.

Before you go, call your bank and your credit card companies to alert them to be in China between this date and that date. If you do not do that all of your plastic will be hot carded after 2 or 3 transactions and you will be STUCK without money or credit. It happened to me. That's why I always have a substantial amount of reserve cash in my moneybelt when traveling.

I do wear a moneybelt, but I actually divide my reserve between several hiding spots.

OH...traveler's checks are a royal PIA to cash so I do not carry them.
Jan 16, 2009 15:11
  • WANHU
Transactions in China are always cash. Local bank debit cards are accepted almost anywhere, including restaurants. Some establishments do accept international credit cards, but then the prices are exorbitantly high. You can exchange USD at most banks, but don't forget to bring along your passport.

Bring cash with you what you need that day, the rest keep in your luggage at the hotel. Foreign faces sometimes are the target for pocket pickings. When you bring more cash for shopping, try to avoid crowded areas.

Wan
Jan 16, 2009 22:09
  • KERS7754
Great information; thanks!
Post a Reply to: money questions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code