Menu
What are you going to eat at Chinese New Year's Eve?
Jan 19, 2009 21:32
  • JIMMYB
Chinese Lunar New Year is coming. Have you already prepared for the New Year's Eve dinner?

In my hometown, my parents usually do do shopping for the Spring Festival in advance. On Lunar New Year's Eve, my mom will spend a whole day preparing delicious dishes for the New Year's Eve dinner. In the noon, my dad and me will post Spring Festival Couplets on our door. Of course, the fireworks are necessary. In the afternoon, my dad, my uncle, my cousins and I will visit the graves of my grand grand father and my grandma. After coming back, we have a short rest. Then time for dinner. All family members will gather at our home (my grandpa lives together with us so my uncles will come to our house to have dinner together) to have a big feast. And we will watch CCTV Spring Festival Gala too. After the dinner, my dad will give lucky money to my cousins. In return, my uncles will give lucky money to my sister too. I am a grown-up now so no one gives me lucky money. On contrary, I need to give my sister and my little cousin lucky money.

When they all get back to their own homes, we make dumplings for next day, the first day of 2009 on luar calendar. It is our custom to eat dumplings in the morning of the first of the new year.

Today, having New Year's Eve dinner in the restaurants becomes very popular. To make sure that you can have New Year's Eve dinner, you need to reserve a month in advance.

What is your plan for Chinese Lunar New Year?

Wish all people here "Happy Niu Year".

Jan 20, 2009 12:33
  • SETH
Happy New Year to you Jimmy.

I probably have the pronunciation all wrong, but I have been told that "Gong Say Fai' Choy" is Happy New Year in Chinese.
Jan 20, 2009 19:06
  • LEOPOLD219
Well, I prefer to have New Year's Eve dinner at home with my families. Jimmyb, we do almost the same things on New Year's Eve.

Seth, it is Gong 1 Xi 3 Fa 1 Cai 2 in mandarin.
Jan 24, 2009 10:54
  • MARRIE
Jimmy, in Shanghai new year's refreshments are famous Shanghai fried rice cake-yummy! They are not available in Chinatown. An expensive shanghai restaurant near our neighborhood serve the healthy and yummy food.

crab fried rice cake

Jan 24, 2009 10:58
  • MARRIE
fried rice cake with fresh bamboo, pork and cabbage.
My grandma has secret recipe of this.

Jan 24, 2009 12:13
  • SETH
LEOPOLD219 - thank you. I have no idea in what dialect I was told how to say it! But however it is pronounced, I hope we all have a Happy New Year!
Jan 26, 2009 11:53
  • WANHU
On Sunday, I was doing my health treatment in Mentakab, about 2 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur, with an acupuncturist from Harbin, HLJ. Later, we had big dinner at a restaurant with close friends and families.

Wan
Jan 26, 2009 19:06
GUEST39102 I am in a Mandarin class at my school. Actually, you were really close, but it's 'Gong xi fa cai.' And the c in cai sounds like ts in its. Just wanted to let u know.
Jan 30, 2009 01:02
  • XIAOXIAO
Rice Cake?

I guess it is called 年糕 (Nian 2 Gao 1) in Chinese. It is sticky. Frankly speaking, I don't like it very much.

Jan 30, 2009 23:47
  • WANHU
Rice cake in Malaysia is eaten with certain gravy, thus if tastes nicer.
Wan
Jan 31, 2009 19:54
GUEST9169 My mom once did fried rice cake for me. I am not fond of it. As Xiaoxiao said, it is too sticky.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What are you going to eat at Chinese New Year's Eve?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code