Menu
Spring Festival Traditions
Jan 24, 2009 01:26
guestox The Spring Festival is the most important festival for Chinese people. We have various activities to celebrate the holiday.

放鞭炮
Many boys explode firecrackers on the Lantern Festival every year. The villagers beat drums and lit firecrackers

贴春联
During the festival, each family would light firecrackers and paste up Spring Festival couplets, and the relatives and friends would send New Year’s greetings go each other to wish everything smoothly in the new year .

The Chinese people love to stick couplets on the Spring Festival, which are also written on red paper.

吃团圆饭
Whenever possible, these people tried to follow the Chinese tradition of returning home and reuniting with family members. On this day all the members of a Chinese family gather around the table for a "reunion dinner," also known as "tuan yuan fan."

It doesn’t matter if the family members cannot get together at ordinary times, but they should have a family reunion dinner on a festival.

给压岁钱
In Song Dynasty, adults gave coins wrapped in red paper to children as a lunar new year gift to protect them from evil.
Parents give their children lucky money in red envelopes.

拜年
Common expression is heard at this time are: GUONIAN to have made it through the old year, and BAINIAN to congratulate the new year.

Jan 24, 2009 19:34
  • KIWICHINESE
Happy Chinese New Year from Auckland new Zealand. First in the world to welcome a New Year
Dec 5, 2010 00:46
  • BBQQ
I miss all these activities during the Spring Festival. Now I am a grow-up and no one gives me lucky money. Instead, I give lucky money to my parents and my uncle's little boy.

2011 Spring Festival starts Feb 2 t0 8. It is coming soon. Do not forget to send your best wishes to your friends via [tcgurl=http://www.travelchinaguide.com/new-year-ecards/ ]New Year eCards[/tcgurl]
Post a Reply to: Spring Festival Traditions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code