Menu
Restored ancient brothel to open to visitors in April
Feb 13, 2009 02:21
  • LEONARDO
In 2006, there was a public controversy on whether to demolish or preserver Hongtaifang (宏泰坊), an ancient brothel in Changsha, the capital of central China’s Hunan Province. The controversy focuses on if the brothel is historical dross or the nation’s heritage. Anyhow, the local government made the decision to repair the brothel as a historical site. Recently, the local government announced that the Brothel will be open to visitors in April.

The brothel, built in 1733 in Jinggang, an ancient boom town in Hunan Province., was a place that ancient women were humiliated and some people indulged in sensual pleasure. Many locals have ever protested the restoration of the brothel, arguing it should be demolished as “it represents the worst aspects of China's former feudal system” and the restoration of the brothel could be seen as promoting prostitution.”

Prostitution has been banned in China since 1949, but underground prostitution can still be found in many Chinese cities. What is your view on the restoration of Hongtaifang (宏泰坊), the ancient brothel? Do you think if it has historical value?

Feb 13, 2009 02:27
  • LEONARDO
The brothel, built in 1733 in Jinggang(靖港) , an ancient prosperous town in Hunan Province, was teetering on the verge of collapse in 2006. Is it historical dross or the nation's heritage? To demolish, or to preserve? That's the question. Both locals and official argued on its historical value.

Feb 13, 2009 05:32
  • GAFFER
History is very important to learn and artefacts should be preserved for future generations to understand their culture. There seems to be no problem in preserving historical military weapons and gruesome means of execution so why should this be any different? Prostitution is the worlds oldest profession and conforms to the natural idiom found in all commercial transactions of supply and demand. It will continue regardless of attitude or law.
Feb 13, 2009 12:21
  • YINDUFFY
Preserving old buildings is important despite their past useage. 1733 was a long time ago and things were different then. To understand the present, you must understand the past.
Feb 13, 2009 17:59
GUEST28162 It depends on the cost of restoration. If the building needs major restoration, then the money can rather be spent on building hospitals or medical clinics, e.g. for the betterment of mankind. If the building is in a good shape, then retain it for the tourists as this may generate some revenue for the country. The presence of the building does not affect how people feel towards sensual entertainment. People are built with hormones, so their innate behavior will not be changed by environment variables. Their personality traits are mostly genetic. Environmental conditioning at early childhood modifies those traits to some extent. The determining factor is $$$$$$$$$$$$
Grasshopper
Feb 13, 2009 21:23
I don't understand, are they opening it back up as a working brothel, or are they just refurbishing the building. Why does it have to be restored as a brothel? Why can't it be restored as a museum of historical woman in China, with the proceeds going towards helping with womans issues.
Last edited by SHAKINTHEMBONES: Feb 13, 2009 21:27
Feb 14, 2009 03:43
  • GAFFER
I believe prostitution is illegal in China so I expect it is being restored as an historical artifact or museum.
Feb 25, 2009 01:29
GUESTEMASEK Chinese society need to decide what is important to them, as a nation, as a culture, as a people.

For instance: during my travels in China cities, big and small, i noticed numerous advertising signs - big and small, some neon-lit - for spas and massage parlours, the moment i leave the airport / immigration complex/ train stations. I begin to wonder about this aspect of Chinese society and i conclude that "pleasure-for-men" activities are an important part of Chinese culture - am i wrong?

Wrong or right, any foreign visitor from the West, or other countries would invariably think that if there are so many advertisements for massage parlours, there will also be plenty of outlets that offer "sex" - and you cannot blame foreigners for this conclusion.

Should the said ancient brothel be restored? Chinese society has decide what is important for themselves.
Feb 25, 2009 20:13
  • MARRIE
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTEMASEK View Post

i conclude that "pleasure-for-men" activities are an important part of Chinese culture - am i wrong?

Wrong or right, any foreign visitor from the West, or other countries would invariably think that if there are so many advertisements for massage parlours, there will also be plenty of outlets that offer "sex" - and you cannot blame fo...

If you really penetrate Chinese daily life, you are definitely wrong saying that ''pleasure for men' culture!

China has already known what is important for themselves when they retroactively look at their 5000 yr civilized history.

And what you state on Chinese history in 'sex' culture and literature is , i am afraid, is much longer than your nation's civilized history!
Last edited by MARRIE: Feb 25, 2009 20:16
Feb 26, 2009 08:58
  • JABAROOTOO
'Pleasure for men' activities abound all around the world and China is no different from any other. Sometimes more blatantly open about it and sometimes not.

Sex is not something that is discussed or 'out there' but it doesn't really take much looking to see that it is live and well in all its forms, both the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Restoring a building of that vintage is a valuable addition to Chinese history and like the suggestions above if opened as a museum the proceeds could go towards helping to rescue young girls from the prostitution/massage 'game'

Feb 28, 2009 03:18
  • SUMMERSNOW
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAFFER

I believe prostitution is illegal in China so I expect it is being restored as an historical artifact or museum.

Of course, there is no prostitutes in the brothel. As you said, it is just a historical place for people to visit and learn something about Chinese history.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Restored ancient brothel to open to visitors in April
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code