Menu
Big question about moving to China
Feb 20, 2009 00:46
  • DAVEC
As most of you know I am planning to move to China from UK. It is looking like it will be next year now.
I need to start planning and could do with some advice on all aspects, so please can I ask for any and all advice.
What do I need to plan for? starting with visas,paperwork etc

I dont have job in China yet so that is my next project, looks like I will probably be living in Shenzhen with my gf to begin although we are hoping to marry before I move.
Feb 20, 2009 03:38
GUEST64438 Is you gf Chinese?
Feb 20, 2009 03:43
GUEST64438 If she is and you marry her you probably won't be staying in
China very long.The odds are 9/10 before the ink is dry on your marriage contract you will be off the the British embassy to prepare her visa/paperwork to move to the U.K.
Feb 20, 2009 04:40
  • GAFFER
To make life more simple you need to get married.....or be offered a job. Once married you can at least live there albeit on a visa that needs regular re-newing. After 5 years you can apply for permanent residency (approval not always guaranteed). Probably the only job you will find is teaching English. Unemployment is increasing in China so there is no shortage of applications for vacancies of any other type of work. Officially companies have to prove that they cannot fill a vacancy locally before employing foreigners. Then they have to be registered to employ foreigners. However, as with everything else in China guanxi is the key to success. Who you know is far more important than what you know. Job vacancies are often not advertised as they are in the west. Someone always knows someone or has a relative who will fill the vacancy.

You could take a TEFL course in the UK, these can be weekend residential, on line or a combination. Some schools will accept this and no degree, but any degree is good enough, not necessarily English. The higher your qualifications and experience the better (paid) job you can find, but many jobs are available for the less qualified. 6 month is the minimum contract and even if teaching is not your dream job it gives you time to "network", build up some guanxi and you will have at least minimal health cover and possibly free accommodation.

As you can see foreigners, even foreign spouses are not welcomed in China with open arms. Probably the biggest worry is health care, even for the locals. Finding easily obtainable in the UK drugs like headache pills can sometimes be a problem. Pharmacies are usually geared up for Chinese herbal medicines. There are many hospitals in Chinese cities of varying qualites. Locals often compare prices before comitting to treatment, but generally the higher the price the better the treatment. Domestic nursing and food is not usually provided. Relatives are expected to care for the patient. Medical insurance is expensive.

There is no basic non contributary state pension in China. Company pensions are common and government workers usually receive the best deal. I know of one retired government worker receiving 3000 yuan per month which in a small city is quite good. So retirement is someting else you need to consider.

On the positive side Shentzhen is handy for HK visa re-newal and for trips home. Also not too far from places like Zuhai, Hainan and the very picturesque Yangshuo. I hope you like hot summer weather. I could even wave as I go past on the bus/train from HK to GZ :o)

If you have the means (and patience) to bring your wife to the UK, you may be better off. It could take a year but if you have proof of a long term relationship and the means to take care of her (financially), there should be no problem.
Feb 20, 2009 09:26
  • DODGER
Dave, the visa bit is easy if you plan to marry in China. If you arrive on a tourist visa it can be changed to a 12 month family visa, but classed the same, so you are not supposed to work but….
And can be renewed with internally (with multiple entries so you are able to come and go)
A job is probably the hardest thing. I would guess that your Chinese is elementary. (I’m being kind)
Most expats here teach English, but it does seem to be a transient type of job with lots of gap year types spending most of their spare time in bars giving us a bad name. (no, I don’t teach).
You have a web site. I still think that could be your best bet. Whatever the exchange rate is, Pounds still beat RBM. So a couple of hundred quid would go a long way in China.
If I can help, send me a pm.
Cheers, Dodger.

Feb 20, 2009 12:42
  • DAVEC
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST64438

If she is and you marry her you probably won't be staying in
China very long.The odds are 9/10 before the ink is dry on your marriage contract you will be off the the British embassy to prepare her visa/paperwork to move to the U.K.

Thanks for your comments/concerns, you clearly dont know my partner. We have both accepted that I will move to China, she has no interest in either visiting or moving to England, she loves her country.
Feb 20, 2009 12:46
  • DAVEC
Gaffer, Dodger, thanks for the info. I was hoping to push my photography more and of course being in China I can travel more.
Shenzhen is just more convenient at the moment as she has a very good job, makes no sense she gives that up and we go elsewhere.
I still have my dream to own a small hotel/guesthouse but that is for the future.
Feb 20, 2009 20:06
GUEST64413 People like to be told what they want to hear...just some advice...don't commit yourself 100%...keep a back-up....from what I've read you've never been to China before? Have you actually even met your bride to be? Does she have children that she might like to become a citizen of the U.K? Yes China has changed..but given the chance most Chinese would still like to get out of China and marriage is the best /easiest way to do it
Keep things on a "low fire" don't put it on high or you might get burned!
Feb 20, 2009 20:10
GUEST64413 In China..the "husband" is the provider...don't even think for one minute a Chinese woman is going to keep you/feed you while you decide what you want to do with yourself "chasing your dreams"
Feb 21, 2009 00:33
  • DAVEC
Guest 64413 are you from planet earth? 'from what you've read i've never been to China' ???? 'have I ever met my bribe' ??? Clearly you havent seen or read any of my comments or threads before.
I have just come back from my 4th trip and will be going back again in 2 months, yes I have met my 'bribe' lots of times in fact she is my fiancee.
I do appreciate you warning me over the potential lets get married so I can have a visa syndrome but I can assure you I am not in that category.
I am a travel photographer who planned on moving to China long before meeting my lady.
Feb 21, 2009 01:56
GUEST65232 I can understand 66413's confusion Davec. You say you've been to China 4 times and yet you still don't seem to know too much about finding work/getting visas.On your next visit go into the local PSB (public security bureau) where you plan on living and have a talk to them.Not to say what they tell you today will still apply six months from now! Visit some local expat areas/hangouts (bars/restaurants) and do some research.
Some of the advice you have been given here is very good but the best advice is to look into these things for yourself as government rules/regulations in China change almost on a monthly basis.Laws also vary from province to province.If your fiancee is well educated and has a good job.She will also probably have "connections" to find out about these things.At the end of the day, she would be the best one to help.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Big question about moving to China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code