Menu
Do you believe it will work?
Mar 2, 2009 21:38
  • LEOPOLD219
A poor man was sent to a hospital by an ambulance but no doctor intended to give him an operation. Why? He was so poor that he couldn't pay for the medical expenses. I have read such cases several times. At present, almost all hospitals require you to pay for the "bill" first. If you can't provide enough money, the doctor will just say "Sorry" to you.

This situation will probably be changed very soon in Nanning, Guangxi Province. The local government issues a new rule, which says "the hospitals that refuse to save the patients under any pretext will be fined 50000 RMB at most."

The public applauses for this policy while the hospitals seems unwilling to obey it. Facing these patients who can't pay for their medical expenses, the hospitals have to pay the bill on their own. In this case, the hospitals will face economic losses.

What do you think of this policy? Will it work?
Mar 2, 2009 22:18
  • SHESGOTTOBE
A hospital is a business. Businesses are supposed to make money. I guess it would depend on which is more expensive for the hospital, treating the patient or just paying the penalty. I think 50,000 RMB is too low.
Mar 4, 2009 00:10
  • KUNGFUPANDA
There should be a "0" behind 50,000. Except the penalty, the local government should give "compensation" to the hospitals. In this way, the hospitals won't complain too much and do their jobs wholeheartedly.
Mar 5, 2009 20:25
  • MIRANDAZHAO
Giving compensation to the hospitals? It is unnecessary. The hospitals make too much money from the patients. The local government should establish a law to punish those hospitals who refuse to help those poor patients. The hospitals might indirectly cause the death of the poor patients and they should be responsible for this. One to three years imprisonment is ok.
Last edited by MIRANDAZHAO: Mar 5, 2009 20:26
Mar 9, 2009 12:48
  • WANHU
Most doctors are under hippocratic oath to care for the patients (as fellow human beings). In many a country, all hospitals either public or private are required to provide a minimum medical attention in any emergency case as part of social obligation. Introducing certain rules of law may deter some private hospitals from shunning away patients who are in need of immediate medical attention.
Wan
Mar 10, 2009 03:49
  • JIMMYB
Wan, it's good that your country have so many good doctors. I have heard so many news about these bad hospitals and doctors in China. Many hospitals observe this rule: No pay, no medicine and operation. Even you are already in the hospital, the doctors will stop giving you medicine if you can't pay for the money. By the way, taking bribes is very usual in the hospitals, especiallly those surgeons. And these bad doctors usually give you very expensive medicine. Why? They draw a percentage from the medicine.
Mar 18, 2009 20:42
  • GRIZ326
Medical care is a blessing and a curse. Essential medical care is a good thing, but where is the line that defines essential. You can go broke over being too soft on that point.

For instance, consider the case of a baby born with a bad liver disease. Should you transplant a baby with the bad liver as essential medical care or allow the child to die. There are those who believe in survival of the fittest, but because "there's a chance the baby can survive with a liver transplant" those people seem hard-hearted. More often than not, the people berating those who do not believe that transplants are essential medical care want everyone to pay for that care. If the mother and father of that child have the funds to pay for the operation, it's up to them; but if they want everyone to pay for it, they are committing their society to a long walk off of a short pier.
Mar 18, 2009 22:35
  • WANHU
Not really, Jimmy. It is only for emergency cases (including accident). Many private hospitals still charge exorbitantly high. Thus they need public fund or donations, and people are advised to take medical insurance. There are still patients waiting for surgery for a long time because they do not have the ability to pay. Anyway, each hospital provides its own fund for these poor patients, but due to lack of support, only selected patients are fortunate enough to have surgery done.

For outpatient, services given by the public hospitals and clinics are almost free, the public need to pay only for the registration and medicine for less than 10 Yuan.

Wan
Mar 22, 2009 21:15
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

For outpatient, services given by the public hospitals and clinics are almost free, the public need to pay only for the registration and medicine for less than 10 Yuan.

Wan

Wow, hadn't been here for a whole week. I went back to enjoy my annual leave at home.

When I was in college, I experienced what you said. I remembered that I just paid for the registration fee and I needn't pay for the medicine. However, the medicine given by the doctor were useless because they were too cheaper.
Mar 22, 2009 22:27
  • SHESGOTTOBE
The medicines usually given by the doctors are free because they are samples given to them by the pharmaceutical companies. They are asked to prescibe certain medications to their patients in exchange for some all expense vacation trips.

Welcome back, JimmyB. Hope you enjoyed your vaca!
Mar 23, 2009 03:34
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHESGOTTOBE

The medicines usually given by the doctors are free because they are samples given to them by the pharmaceutical companies. They are asked to prescibe certain medications to their patients in exchange for some all expense vacation trips.

Welcome back, JimmyB. Hope you enjoyed your vaca!

The medicines I got from the doctors are not samples given by pharmaceutical companies. They were just cheapest and useless pills. They never gave me useful medicines (because they were too expensive).unless I paid for them.

Thanks, SHESGOTTBE. I did enjoy my vacation. The apricot and peach blossoms are fine now in my hometown. I took many beautiful pictures.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you believe it will work?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code