Menu
About "dowry"!
Mar 23, 2009 01:54
  • CHERRY07
There is an old tradition in China. When a girl is going to marry, her parents need to prepare dowry for her. At her wedding day, the girl will bring her dowry and goes to her husband's home. In some places, the dowry will be sent to her husband's home the day before their wedding day. After arriving at her husband's home, the girl's dowry will be shown to the guests.

Generally speaking, the dowry includes clothes, quilts, daily necessities, TV, refrigerator and other gadgets. However, it might be different due to the regional differences.

I know that there are many western guys on this forum. I am curious if your wife brought you some dowries?
Mar 23, 2009 04:08
  • GAFFER
Although the dowry custom you describe is or was popular in many countries, even England in times gone by, I thought in China the groom provided the dowry to his brides parents....or is this just the case for laowai? ;o)
Mar 23, 2009 04:32
  • BBQQ
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAFFER

Although the dowry custom you describe is or was popular in many countries, even England in times gone by, I thought in China the groom provided the dowry to his brides parents....or is this just the case for laowai? ;o)

Gaffer, it is hard to explain. It is the parent's task to prepare the dowry for their daughters. However, you have to pay "bride price" for your wife-to-be. In most cases, the parents will use the "bride price" to buy the dowry for their daughter. If your bride price is not enough, the parents may take out some money. However, I guess that the bride price you gave to your parents-in-law is definitely enough to prepare the dowry for their daughter.
Apr 14, 2009 23:08
  • PAGANBOY
From what i have heard, it is the man who has to pay so i dont think what you're describing is a common arrangement. Sounds like bull to me actually. If this was true however tell me where this is practised and i will be on the first plane there. Not that i want the cheap tv or fridge but not having to pay for a good chinese wife sounds like a good deal to me.
Feb 25, 2013 22:08
GUEST79824 its very bad
Feb 27, 2013 21:31
  • MARRYMAX
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST79824

its very bad

Avoid marrying a Chinese girl and you won't be bothered by the dowry problem.
Post a Reply to: About "dowry"!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code