Menu
TEFL International reviews
May 1, 2010 21:43
GUEST24680 I did the course in China. I must say it was a waste of money. There are many reasons I saw. The first was that we learned little, it was vague and I could have got the information from a book and saved thousands. It did not help me get a job, all th jobs they "help" the students get are already posted on the net and do NOT require the cert. The cert was overall worthless, it is not needed for the job, it does not help you get a visa and not one single person asked me for it. I personally think it would be better to just get a job and get the practice there with the supervision of the head teacher. This program was a waste of time, waste of money and if I did it again, I would not have done it. Also, they just rip the students off on the rent, it is way to high for what they offer.
And the kicker, all the jobs they offer the teachers provide a placement fee for the managers, Herny I was told. He places people in jobs that are low paying and require a lot of work so he can get 300 bucks to put them there. Maybe it's only me, but if I wanted to get a bad low paying job I would just go to an agent. It makes me not trust the whole thing.
Oct 18, 2011 23:30
GUESTJAMES I took the 4 week course in Beijing, China. This course is a scam. The
things they said they will do such as job placement, having a
additional free course, tuition, class hours, are all false. The
trainer there Henry is just a complete mess. He fails to prepare his lesson
plans and he does discriminate certain people. The ones he does not
like are guaranteed not to pass the course. So beware of that.

They fail to provide job assistance. So you are very much on your own
when looking for a job. Also when they offer another course besides
the 4 week course, they did not. The over charged the tuition. It was
actually suppose to be $500 deposit + $1090 remaining course fee =
$1590 total. They ended up charging $1624 in total. Besides that the
course hours were suppose to be 120 class hours. Overall we only had
no more than 80 hours. Often times our class would end early because
the trainer forgot to bring his lesson materials. He ended skipping
that lesson and never came back to that lesson.

The only food part I feel about the course is the teaching practice.
Though there is no good instructions on how to prepare our lessons, it
was still a good practice.

Overall, I am very disappointed with the experience with this course.
It is almost like throwing $1624 out the window. Please do not waste
your money on this course.
Nov 30, 2011 10:43
GUESTTEACHER I agree with mamahuhu, same school, same experience, same people, overall I am not sure how the other schools are, but this one is pointless. After finishing you soon realize that all the other teachers in Beijing do not have TEFL and NO SCHOOLS ever ask for it. It would be better to just come to Beijing and get a job just asking around or googling jobs in Beijing, China. Save your money, save your pride, spend the cash on living here and finding a job instead of spending more later trying to find a job. Oh, yeah, and the jobs they offer are because the schools pay them commissions, they place you in low paying jobs that require crazy hours and try to stick you in small cities so they can get extra money from the English schools. be careful
Feb 26, 2012 21:04
GUEST13191 I have been teaching middle school language arts and Spanish for ten years and have two Masters degrees. Now I want to teach overseas and have been told I need to have TEFL, TESOL, or some form of ESL course work before I can teach English internationally.

Is this true?
Mar 20, 2012 21:02
GUEST89115 Has anyone heard anything about the company itefl.net. I want to get a certification in Madrid.
Mar 22, 2012 04:55
  • GLOBALTESOL
I must say all TEFL international courses are really very good specially teaching English as a foreign language certification in this you will learn how to teach english with a foreign language training as well.
Jun 2, 2012 00:43
GUEST70102 I attended the TEFL International course in Beijing and it is a scam. They were fast to collect our money. They fail to keep every promise they said they would do such as job assistant. The course is not what it is as advertised. It is advertised as a 120 hour course but our class had no more than 80 hours of class time. We learned things that are just useless information. I would have saved much money by buying books and studied myself and learned more than what this course had taught me.

The worst part is the course trainer Henry Haofeng Yan. He is a mindless prick who discriminates against certain students. Also Henry is just not helpful.

Another thing is the course is priced at $1590 USD on the website. However they ended charging $1624 USD. I asked Henry about this and he responded that this is the price that he charges for every student. He fails to do anything about the overcharge.
Jul 5, 2012 04:54
GUEST50167 If you want to get a certificate where there is some quality control, it needs to be a course which is externally moderated. This means that staff need to be qualified and trained for the job and there is a university backing it. The moderation should be for each and every course, not some bloke passing through once every 6 months.
As far as I know, this means Cambridge CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL. Both these courses can be found in locations around the world.
They may not be necessary for all jobs, but they are a minimum requirement for British Council jobs around the globe so why limit yourself to anything less. Cost may be an issue, but there are accredited courses out there for less than $1624.
Jul 6, 2012 12:08
GUEST91137 I am interested in becoming an English teacher abroad. I would like to go to Europe. I have contacted TEFL international and am seriously considering it. Do you make enough money doing this type of work? I am getting ready to start college so I would only have a TEFL certificate. Is that enough to make decent money working abroad in Europe?
Aug 24, 2012 21:51
GUEST78999 Tefl International Review.

I didd my Tefl course with guys in Ban Phe Thailand
and i had a fantastic experience from start to finish.
With regards to work Bangkok is the obvious place to start looking.
If you want to work in a school then salary's will start at about $1000 a month.
I chose to work in a Language Center,so i am on 400 bht an hour approx $13 and i work on average 20 hours per week which suits me.
The guys at Tefl International will also point you in the right direction should you want to work in a school as they have many contacts.
Hope this helps and good Luck.
Finding a job is not a problem and don't panic if you have no degree despite what others may tell you.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: TEFL International reviews
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code