Menu
Buses between shanghai and tangkou/huangshan scenic spot
Mar 29, 2009 04:19
guest57158 hi there,

i've read on earlier threads that in shanghai ,there is a bus to Huangshan scenic spot departing from HuaLong Hotel at 6:00AM. any idea if this is a daily departure and whether i can book the ticket in advance? if so, i would like to know how i can go about reserving the bus ticket.

also, is there a bus from Huangshan scenic spot back to shanghai?

in short, i am hoping to bypass huangshan city and travel directly between shanghai and tangkou/huangshan scenic spot.

thanks
Mar 29, 2009 06:28
  • ELLYSE
Buses will STILL pass by Huangshan city, even if they're going to Tangkou.
Have not heard of any bus departing from Hualong Hotel. There're 3 departures from Shanghai South long-distance bus station to Tangkou, at 0628, 1012 and 1712. Fare is 140 RMB.
Let me know if you need to pre-buy tickets. Email directly to yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username in the subject line.
Apr 16, 2009 20:20
GUEST31226 do you know how long the bus ride from shanghai to tangkou is? I'm just wondering if I take the 6:30am bus if I'd have time to hike up the mt before it got dark? Please let me know you can email me at yahoo.com|carriedawaytochina
thanks
(also do you know if there is any wayto go from Huangshan (or nearby) to either Luoyang or Xi'An? I'm trying to go without having to come back to shanghai first.)
thanks for all your help,
carrie
yahoo.com|carriedawaytochina
Apr 16, 2009 23:03
  • ELLYSE
I think it's about 6.5 hours. So if you take the departure at 0628, you should arrive around 1300. You then have to change to another internal shuttle bus to get to the bottom of either Western or Eastern Steps. Don't forget that you'll have to stop for lunch at Tangkou before you ascend the mountain. Seeing that it usually takes about 7 hours to climb up the Western Steps, I think it might be easier to go for the Eastern Steps instead, which usually take around 3 hours going up.
If you want to go to Luoyang/Xi'an by train, then the best solution is still to go back to Shanghai as the trains originate from there. The next best would be to take a bus to Nanjing then continue by train, but tickets might not be as easy to get.
When are you travelling?
Jun 9, 2009 13:01
GUESTADI I intend to hike this Thursday/Friday.
If I take the bus from Shanghai South Bus Station (is this near the Shanghai South railway station?) 10.12am to Tangkou (this takes about 6 hours?), would it be feasible to reach the mountain top in the same evening (Thursday) from Tangkou by foot? What is the distance roughly, and how much time does this take?
What hotels (dorm bed) could you recommend to get a great view for sunrise?

Alternatively, if I take the train Shanghai-Hangzhou, where can I get the bus to Tangkou (and how much time does this take?)?

And: where can I get a decent map of the Huangshan area?

Thanks for your help.
Jun 9, 2009 20:32
  • ELLYSE
Unless you're a pretty fast hiker, otherwise I think it might be a bit late to start on that departure. Do you not have the option of starting on an earlier bus?
From Tangkou you still need to connect to another bus to get to the foot of the Eastern Steps. From there it probably takes around 3 hours to climb to the summit area.
There're a number of hotels and sunrise viewing points, what is suitable would depend on your route.
Buses to Tangkou depart from Hangzhou West long-distance bus station. It probably takes around 3+ hours to arrive at Tangkou.
Actually though, my pet recommendation would usually be to take a bus to Tunxi, connect to a bus to Taiping (north foot of the mountain, much less crowded), taxi to Taiping cable car station, ascend via Taiping cable car then hike West Sea Canyon. After sunrise the next day, descend on foot via Western or Eastern Steps. Would this be ok for you to consider? IMHO the best scenery (and most uncrowded) on Huangshan is the West Sea Canyon.
If you have any more queries, please email to yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username in the subject line, thanks.
Aug 28, 2009 03:37
GUESTPORLATA... Hello,
We want to go from Huanshang to Suhzou. Is there any train or bus available? How long would it take?
Aug 29, 2009 06:19
  • ELLYSE
Huangshan (city) to Suzhou? Bus and overnight train both possible, I would prefer the latter.

Tunxi -- Suzhou:
K8420/K8417 (1915--0831) 13h16min
K784/K781 (2211--0931) 11h20min
Oct 1, 2009 11:02
GUESTLULY Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Huangshan during the week in December. We will be coming from Hangzhou by bus.
Which route is the shortest, how long would it take?
- A bus from Hangzhou West Long Distance Station to Tangkou and then a connecting bus to Taiping and then a taxi to Taiping Cable. Or is there a bus from Hangzhou that goes directly to Taiping?
_Or taking the bus from the Hangzhou West Long Distance Station to Tunxi, connect to a bus to Taiping and taxi to Taiping cable car station? We are planning on spending a night at the top of the mountain so we need to reach the Taiping cable by 4pm.

Is it ok if we buy tickets to Huangshan only the day before? Or should we do it earlier? Is it possible to book train tickets from Hangzhou to Huangshan in Shanghai? In a travel agency perhaps?

For the way back, we are planning on flying back to Shanghai by the 20:40 or 22:40 flight. How long does it take to get to the airport from the bottom of the Western Stairs (which end near Tangkou, right?). Is it easy to find a taxi to take us to the airport?

And is the West Sea Canyon another name for the Western steps? if not, is it possible to do both of them during an overnight stay?

Cheers!
Oct 11, 2009 20:11
  • ELLYSE
There's a daily bus that leaves very early in the morning (around 0600) that goes directly to Taiping, but I'd prefer to transit in Tunxi. If you change buses in Tunxi you don't necessarily need to leave so early (a little bit more sleep if you don't want to wake up so early) and you could also leave excess luggage in Tunxi, to be picked up when you leave.
What did the tour agency mean by "it won't be the same as in the high season"? We could always check before you go to Huangshan to confirm that Taiping cable car will be running when you're going there, that's not a problem.
I think you should be ok buying the Hangzhou -- Huangshan bus tickets a day in advance in Hangzhou.
Train tickets for Hangzhou -- Huangshan? No one goes by train for this route, it isn't direct (you'll have to transit in Shanghai) and it doesn't make sense.
I believe Tunxi -- Shanghai flights run year-round. Allowing about 3 hours before flight departure time from the bottom of the Western Steps to Tunxi airport, should be reasonably sufficient. Shouldn't be a problem to find a taxi to take you to the airport.
No, the West Sea Canyon and Western Steps are different. Yes, it's possible to do both of them with an overnight stay in the summit area.
Oct 11, 2009 21:33
GUEST27242 hi,you can take bus from hangzhou to huangshan scenic spot ,it just take you 3hours.then when you arrived in tangkou,you can take other bus ,cost you 13yuan rmb to go to cable car, you can climb to the mountion or take calble car to the .why you take bus to taiping?it is not right way. you can take bus or taxi from tangkou to tunxi city,then go to airport to take plane to shanghai ,may be it is the shortest way .
Page 1 of 11    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Buses between shanghai and tangkou/huangshan scenic spot
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code