Menu
Laos Funeral
Apr 25, 2009 18:03
  • LARRYBOY
I just attended a Laos funeral here in Philadelphia for a friend of mine. After the service was over the women in the receiving line were not allowed to speak to any of the men or even shake their hands only the other women were allowed to make contact with them.....Two questions 1. What is the cultural reason for this and ...2. Is this a common practice with other Asian cultures for Funerals. LB
May 24, 2009 23:02
GUEST37218 I suppose the women you were talking about were wearing white, correct? I'm not so sure about the details because I'm just a young girl who had to do her part, but not too long ago I did the same thing for my own grandfather. My mother said it was like "turning into temporary nuns". We were considered holy for the time, and could not converse with or touch the opposite sex. Males and females are usually always separated like this. We couldn't even do normal things like watch tv or washing dishes and the like until the kuma, monks, turned us back. Afterwards, we could do whatever we wanted again.

I'm sure someone else could give you better details, but for now you'll have my teen intelligence for reference, ahaha.
May 28, 2009 19:17
  • LARRYBOY
hello 37218, yes you are correct, they were wearing white and that is the best answer that i have recieved that makes sense to me. I have even asked the Laos people here and they could not ell me or maybe they would noy,,, i dont know, but thank you for your answer it helps my curiousity. Your teen intelligence was the best answer compared to those who are alot older and should know. A BIG THANK YOU to you 37218 LB
Jul 7, 2009 18:22
GUEST07455 She is correct as to separating them and being "temporary nuns". The men go through a "ritual" to purify and cleanse themselves during this time and for the ceremony. Therefore, women are not aloud to communicate with or touch the men in "uniform". It is also out of respect to the purified spirit.
Jul 8, 2009 18:49
  • LARRYBOY
Thankyou guest,, another great answer. LB
Jul 8, 2009 19:14
  • MARRIE
LB, what's the Chinese for Laos? I have no idea on this custom. If this means death of old age instead of disease, this will be 'white happiness' , for which we usually have a big dinner to celebrate.
Jul 8, 2009 19:23
  • LARRYBOY
Laos is the name of a country that borders Vietnam. Cambodia and Thailand. Learning customs and cultures is challenging,,but yet rewarding. LB
Jul 8, 2009 19:37
  • LARRYBOY
White happiness sounds like the end of life here and the beginning of a beautiful journey through eternity. That is cause for celebration LB
Jul 9, 2009 19:25
  • WUYUETIAN
LB, you are sunny boy accroding to your pic, but why are you lingering around this topic. According to our chiniese customs, it's a moral issue for a man or women to get remarried within 3 year after his or her life partner. Three years later, they can remarry because the corpse of his or her dead partner has cooled down. It's funny, isn't? The customs has faded away now.
Jul 9, 2009 21:05
  • LARRYBOY
Hey Wuyetian, No Im not lingering just replying and thanking those for giving me answers. We all have questions about things unknown to us, especially understanding other cultures. LB
Sep 24, 2009 21:47
GUEST84199 mu neighbors just losy a daughter at the age of 23. Iwant to to know what i can do to help. i went over there and he sais anything that i can do or aNY FOOD THAT I CAN BRING WILL HELP. I WQANT TO BE CIRRECT AND RESPECT THEM . WHA T CAN I DO OR BRING.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Laos Funeral
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code