Menu
Chinese dates or jujube
Apr 27, 2009 03:46
  • WANHU
I am sure many of us have come across Chinese dates (jujube fruits), which can be classified into three types, based on their colour, namely black, red and brown. The black date where the ripe fruit is first smoked and dried and it has the most medicinal value among the three types of Chinese dates; while the red date is red in colour, it is the natural colour of the date when dried. The brown date is not so well known, due to its least medicinal value, sometimes added to soups to enhance its sweet taste. Both black and red dates are known as Chinese dates.

It is claimed that the Chinese date calms the central nervous system, protects liver, improves strength of muscles, inhibits cancer cells (with the presence of cyclic adenosine monophosphate), treating skin cancer, preventing reaction in blood transfusion, also treating diarrhea or loose stools and fatigue. The date easily blends with other herbs harmoniously and is said to be good for spleen and provides better appetite. Chinese dates are widely considered as the living vitamin pills because they contain vitamins B, C, E, P, phosphorus, calcium, iron, etc. Thus, tonic soups made from a combination of red dates, astragalus, dried goji berries, ginseng and dang gui are given to those recuperating from surgery to improve immunity, strengthen the body and prevent relapses. [Some yi sheng or Sinseh cautioned that Chinese dates may cause abdominal distention for gastritis patients].
Wan

May 1, 2009 12:59
I like the red dates, I first tried them about three years ago when my friend Nina last came to London.

Alan
Post a Reply to: Chinese dates or jujube
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code