Menu
Can a foreigner apply for credit card in china?
Aug 5, 2009 05:29
  • YENJAMES
If you read my post (number 2) on this thread then you will see it is possible to get a Chinese bank to issue you a credit card. They will first issue a card that can only be used in China as long as you maintain a good payment history they will issue international card later or you can show them a credit card issued by a bank outside of China and will issue a RMB/dollar credit card (Master card or Visa) tied to that credit card. Try BOC as in my experiance they seem a bit more liberal working with foriegners. Hope this helps.
Sep 28, 2009 23:50
GUEST53644 I know how you feel. The same thing happened to me! Solution if you have a Credit card from another country use elong.com, they have good deals and they accept credit card. You must send them first a scaned copy of your passport and a copy of your credit card though.
Jan 6, 2010 01:24
GUEST55200
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

If you have an account with Bank of China you may request for a MasterCard debit card. Your debit card is as good as cash in China.
Wan

Hi i want to apply for a local credit card.I am working in China since last 12 years.what would be my credit limits??

Thx
Apr 6, 2010 23:19
GUEST40210
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST36107

Hi,
I am here for more than 2 years having own business in China, and running a company having 80 employees but, tied every bank everywehre to get a credit card But, in china it is impossible for foreigners to get credit card.
Very stupid system.

Agreed. I own a house here, have maintained a high bank balance for about 10 years, and have also been consistently refused.

Jun 22, 2010 02:36
GUEST74178 Since years, I have hundreds of thousands of RMB in my account at Bank of China.
I am working and paying my taxes in China but CAN NOT get a Chinese Credit Card.
At home (USA) I have around a dozen of Credit Cards but everytime they are charging a "Transaction Fee" for RMB purchases in China.
Jun 22, 2010 04:48
GUEST1970
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST74178

Since years, I have hundreds of thousands of RMB in my account at Bank of China.
I am working and paying my taxes in China but CAN NOT get a Chinese Credit Card.
At home (USA) I have around a dozen of Credit Cards but everytime they are charging a "Transaction Fee" for RMB purchases in China.

That's what I've found on the internet. The regulations don't say foreigners can not apply a Chinese credit card. But the possibility that foreigners can appy a Chinese credit card successfully is very low.
Jul 1, 2010 06:46
GUESTVINOTH may i know which bank's debit card i could use for connecting with paypal? i have a china construction bank debit card that is a union pay card i could not connect it with paypal.....can a foreigner get visa debit card in ccb?
Aug 6, 2010 03:12
GUEST13109 In general, foreigners cannot get a credit card (as opposed to a debit card) in China. You need to maintain an account and credit card outside of China if you want to travel beyond China.
Aug 19, 2010 03:08
GUESTEJC I got an international credit card from Bank of China (Xi'an). I use it for online shopping, and for international travel purchases. The manager was nice enough to tell me how it can be done. I got a time deposit account, and attached that to my credit card account application. It only took a couple of hours. As long as you have all the paperworks needed like your personal documents, bank book, etc., you're good to go.
Sep 8, 2010 13:45
  • CECILGRASS
Great read, thanks a lot this will help as I'm traveling this fall for the first time ever. I've also found mention
of a great service at http://www.payvision.com/index.htm that can handle
accepting international credit cards and it seems like it would be useful too.
Page 2 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Can a foreigner apply for credit card in china?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code