Menu
Can a foreigner apply for credit card in china?
May 6, 2009 02:30
  • SOOPERMAN
Hello

I have to stay in Beijing for about 18 months for an on job training program. I wish to know whether or not I can get a Credit Card through any Chinese bank? I need the card for online shopping purposes.

Thanks in advance
May 6, 2009 02:50
  • YENJAMES
Hi, if you open a bank account at a chinese bank and have an active foreign credit card you can get an international credit card issued through that bank but it will be tied to your existing card so that if you skip town without paying they can recoup the balance owed from your existing card. You will not be able to get a credit card without an existing credit account unless you are working in China and own (long term lease...lol) a house. If you don't own property and are working you can get a domestic credit card that is only good in China but can only use online at sites that accept Union Pay which are limited. I am working here and opted for the domestic card from the Bank of China just for convenience and they were giving away free Beijing Olympic gifts as a promotion last year for the Olympics...lol Hope this helps.
May 6, 2009 03:10
  • SOOPERMAN
Thank you so much for your reply. As I mentioned that I need credit card for online purchasing, can bank of china issue me a debit card which can be used online for online purchases? (for example a visa debit card or master card)
May 6, 2009 08:17
  • WANHU
If you have an account with Bank of China you may request for a MasterCard debit card. Your debit card is as good as cash in China.
Wan
May 9, 2009 13:32
GUESTJUINMING I have a bad experience with China online payment system. When i tried to book ticket online on China Southern Airlines, when go to payment web page, the popup message said that i can use bank card (in china, they call the bank card is debit card) with UnionPay logo to make the payment. OK, i put my bank card (mine have UnionPay logo) number and the webpage said that my card is not supported (sxx). I tried to pay by my international credit card and after 10 times submit details, the webpage return error (no explain). Tried many times and luckily after about 10 times tried pass to checking page. After few seconds, the page turn back to CSA webpage with message "could not processing, you can wait few minute and try again" (very polite ;-). I tried 2 times the same and the 3rd time the online payment page show me that "2 transactions fail, do not allow more transactions" blah blah. I tried to call service centre alot and always get advice "you can try other computer, other time, other credit card" and "you can ask your chinese friends with his/her credit card to help you". After almost a week to resolve the case, finally i came to the agent to buy ticket and have to pay 700RMB more then the online price.
my bad luck.

May 9, 2009 21:53
  • ELLYSE
I'm guessing that your UnionPay card didn't have online e-banking enabled?
May 10, 2009 03:00
GUEST23735
Quote:

Originally Posted by ELLYSE

I'm guessing that your UnionPay card didn't have online e-banking enabled?

When i opened account in BOC and CITIC bank, I have already applied internet banking. (They gave me a small USB stick called Etoken and I can manage my account online).
Or do i have to apply e-banking with UnionPay???
Any Idea? thanks.
May 10, 2009 09:22
  • ELLYSE
No, you should've been fine. Have you tried using your e-banking for other purposes successfully?
I don't use either of those two banks, so I can't help with the details.
May 15, 2009 11:47
GUEST44170 I bought a ticket on tuesday evening with my international card on china southern airlines, and they made me no difficulties, i even got the electronic ticket on my mail account, but today friday, still not debited from my account. And when i checked the check my trip on the website, it doesn't look confirmed, coz they said there should be a green sign if it was confirmed by the airline for the seat, and it's not...... Aiya! I don't know what to do...
Aug 3, 2009 02:24
GUEST36107 Hi,
I am here for more than 2 years having own business in China, and running a company having 80 employees but, tied every bank everywehre to get a credit card But, in china it is impossible for foreigners to get credit card.
Very stupid system.
Aug 5, 2009 01:58
  • ANGELABABY
It's hard to say, maybe you can call to the bank, there are many banks in China, maybe you can get one of ttheir credit card
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Can a foreigner apply for credit card in china?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code