Menu
KUNMING- versus - DALI
May 14, 2009 08:27
  • KLENOG
I am NOT Chinese, but Australian, but manage a little Cantonese only. Now written Chinese at all. Maybe I will purchase a talking language translator in China???

I shall be arriving in Kunming on Thursday 20th August, 2009 @ 11:30am.

During my very short stay as an independent male traveler on this occasion I want to travel also into DALI.
My questions relate to where and how I should best split my time between both ( if at all) as I leave Kunmimg for Shanghai on Saturday 4:30pm by train.

I want to spend as little time as possible doing nothing but see everything.
Maybe travel overnight between Kunming and Dali is an option to maximize my sightseeing in Daliā€¦

Does anyone have an opinion how best to spend my limited time in this area, please?

Greg
May 14, 2009 22:12
  • ELLYSE
Without knowing more about your sightseeing interests and preferences, I wouldn't venture to answer your question.
May 15, 2009 03:37
  • DAVEC
So you arrive on thursday and leave on saturday? that really doesnt leave much time to travel, better to spend all the time in Kunming although Dali is much much better place to see.
I stayed in Kunming 2 days and 3 in Dali and wished I had spent all 5 in Dali.
Allow yourself a little time when you get to the station to go to Shanghai, I found Kunming station so far the only one without any signs in English.
May 15, 2009 05:07
  • KLENOG
Thank you DAVEC.

I was wundering why I should spend more time in Kunming if DALI is much more intertesting you you wished you had. Is it because I waste a lot of time in travel?

What is the best way to travel between Kunming & Dali.
Bus or Train and then OVERNIGHT?

Any suggestions...

Many thanks.... Greg ( KLENOG )
May 15, 2009 08:02
GUESTJACK I'm also planning to visit Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, Shangrila in August.
Have read quite a bit, up to now.

I noted that the travel time is already about 7 hours by bus from Kunming to Dali !!
You need some time to find your way around, locating the bus terminals, etc.
So, I guessed you have very little time in Dali, and spend most time rushing to/fro Kunming to catch the train to Shanghai.

However, the internal flight takes 40 minutes and costs cny650, each way. Good luck to you!
May 15, 2009 11:38
  • ELLYSE
Overnight train for Kunming -- Dali each way, I think.
Staying in Kunming means that you would have more or less 2 full days in Kunming, instead of 0.5x2=1 day in Kunming and 1 day in Dali. If you take bus to Dali and back you'll probably waste most of those two half days that you could spend in Kunming, so it doesn't make sense either.
Honestly, stop trying to go all over the country in 1 trip. You're going to waste too much money and time on travelling and not enough on actually seeing what you came to see!
May 15, 2009 17:22
GUEST91926 Thank you ELLYSE... I will reconsider my otinery now........ Greg
(KLENOG)
May 15, 2009 19:16
  • KLENOG
ELLYSE, given the time constraints I have ...Arrive Shanghai on August 2nd @ 06:35am and Depart Shaghai August 25th @ 14:30pm.

What itinery do you suggest to maximise my enjoyment of this vast country. I have already visited Beijing and surrounding tourist areas.

Any suggestions ... Maybe I should leave out a Yangtze River cruise and the 3 Georges.
Keave out Xi'an...and see more rural country...?????

Many thanks....... Greg (KLENOG)
May 15, 2009 22:56
  • ELLYSE
You have not provided any information about your sightseeing interests and preferences. How are we supposed to know what kind of places you'd enjoy most?
Apart from Beijing, have you visited any other places in China?
Yes, definitely leave out the 3 Gorges cruise.
You might want to reply to yahoo.com|ellyse99 -- put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg Klenog) in the subject line, thanks.
May 16, 2009 02:30
GUESTSRATCHU... Been to the two places and found Dali to be a nice place to relax, listen to music and eat/drink in the old town... Kunming is a big city... it has nice tourist attractions though.... But if i were you i would just stay in kunming about two days to see the attractions then go to Dali to relax... Tourist attractions wise... Kunming's are more cool...
May 16, 2009 08:31
GUEST91926
Thank you GUESTSRA for your advice and comments.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: KUNMING- versus - DALI
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code