Menu
Chinese Mystery Novels
May 17, 2009 01:26
  • WANHU
I read Collin Glassey's review of Judge Dee's mystery novels by Robert van Gulik with interest, not because of his ability to mesmerise me with beautiful reviews but rather I have the books he mentioned and the very book he has not read. The first Chinese mystery novel I read was about Bao Zheng written or rather translated by Leon Comber. Both Comber and van Gulik married a Chinese, Comber to Dr. Han Suyin while the latter Shui Shifang. In 1942-1945 van Gulik was a secretary for the Dutch mission to Chiang Kai-shek's Nationalist government in Chongqing. After the war ended he returned to the Netherlands, then to the US and later in 1949 returned to Tokyo and published his first book “Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee".

The last novel of van Gulik about Judge Dee was "Murder in Canton" which was also published by Heinemann (London) in 1966 a year before his demise. I am sure there are other renowned judges besides Dee Jen-djieh and Bao Zheng. Do you have any other Chinese mystery novels written in English?

Wan
Post a Reply to: Chinese Mystery Novels
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code