Menu
Should I retire in China? If so, where?
Jun 17, 2009 22:45
  • JIM_BRANTLEY
Hello, everyone. My name is Jim. I am really giving China a strong look as a possible place to retire. I teach Business English, Western Culture, Conflict Resolution, Western Business Practices, customs, and protocol. I believe finding work would not be an issue; perhaps something on the side which would not eat up my all important liesure time. Oh, I forgot, I live in the hottest, most humid Hell hole in America. A place that gets cold would be really outstanding. Actual seasons would be better. Any advice, ideas, comments, suggestions, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time on this. I look forward to meeting you. My SKYPE name is Jimmy Lee Brantley and my user name here is Jim_Brantley. Have a good day.
Last edited by JIM_BRANTLEY: Jun 17, 2009 22:49
Jun 18, 2009 19:29
  • LUMMERLAOSHI
I know a few expats who have retired in Kunming, Yunnan. I think the reason being is that the weather is petty decent all year round and the lifestyle is somewhat relaxed.
Jun 18, 2009 19:34
  • JIM_BRANTLEY
Thank you, LUMMERLA. I'll do some research on that.
Jun 20, 2009 12:26
  • QFARRY
WELCOME TO XIAMEN, SOUTHEAST OF CHINA, A GREAT CITY.
Jun 21, 2009 02:53
  • GAFFER
Jim,
You might find an age issue for working/teaching in China. 58-60 seems to be the upper age limit to get a visa...although there are always exceptions if you are willing to accept lower conditions.
Jun 21, 2009 03:30
  • JIM_BRANTLEY
Thanks for the info GAFFER...you are right, there are always exceptions. Sad is the man who willingly accepts "lower conditions".
Jul 8, 2009 15:45
GUESTFRANK I AM INTERESTED IN RETIRING IN CHINA..... WHICH IS A GOOD CITY WITH NICE WEATHER AND NOT TOO EXPENSIVE TO LIVE?
Jul 9, 2009 13:48
GUESTGUESTLAGUY My wife and I are also interested in getting feedback from Asian Expats
we are looking at Guangzhou area but i'm hearing that the weather is not good / pollution etc ?

Thanks, LA Guy
Jul 25, 2009 07:46
GUEST51112 Hello Jim, Hello China interested,

it seems that you not only want to simply retire you look for an employment as well. I give the following comments:
As an native English teacher you will have very good possibilities. You can join schools and get good salaries and you direct are welcomed into the new environment. Drawback, you will have less time for own Chinese language studies or trips around – depending on your contract and the school you can be more busy than you want. The advantage you get the working visa.
If you would offer private lessons instead you would get not a working visa for that.

For retiring, China is may be not the typical country. The problem for elder people I mostly see is, that they are not so flexible for adapting to a new (really different) culture, food and language. Important for many a good service of doctor or hospital, even if you have the language barrier is there.
For the west European who are used to enjoy a mild climate with cold winters, the hot Chinese summer climate is not enjoyable. But that seem to be similar in climate as the humid climate that you describe.
The recommendation from the member “LUMMERLA...“ with the city of “KunMing” I can only emphasise. The south western province YunNan is in my view a favourite because of many reasons. One is the climate. There is much to say about that, but that I exchange by feedback or via Skype.
Before making long term decisions I recommend to stay for some month in China. I have been 2 years in China and for me it is still great. But there are many foreigners they miss their country and so many things. So the decision if China is the right country to retire is something due to the individual character.

About 3 years ago I bought an apartment in China. At this time it was simple to get half year visa for China. With the Olympic games they changed their visa policy and now you get only one ore two month. I hope that will soon change again. I do not see, that there is another visa for people who want to retire in China. You can work or go to school or be a businessman. Presently as a tourist you are kicked out every few months. Not to forget, most foreigners are married with a Chinese, so you can stay there easy.

Next year I will return to China and see the options I have. Because of the present situation I look for alternatives as well. I still think that YunNan and SiChuan have great places and I would like to live there for a long time, but I have to be patient. Therefore I was looking for places to stay in Asia and found this page as well. May be there is someone who also have experiences in staying abroad long term and can recommend interesting places. I’m in the 40th and not retired, therefore I have to look that the expenses are low. I saw that in India north of New Delhi you have some favourite places for long time travellers/retirement.

I would appreciate your feedback
Best regards
Dirk
Dec 7, 2009 02:06
GUEST11496 There is an interesting group at http://retire-in-xiamen.ning.com/ that discusses retirement options in Xiamen, China.
Dec 8, 2009 02:21
  • HERBEAT
Sometimes to have a bit snow in winter and some other seasons would be great. As far as I concern, weihai in Shandong province is the best place to live. The magnificate beach, the most beautiful sky and the sea... wow... And the live there is quite comfortable...
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Should I retire in China? If so, where?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code