Menu
Physical examination (medical) required for Z, X visas?
Jun 19, 2009 20:53
  • APAULT
if you have recently applied for a Z or X (work or study) visa, were you required to undergo a physical examination (medical) to get the visa? In the past it was only necessary to do this after you arrived and were applying for the residency permit. Now I have seen some visa regulations which say it is required to get the visa - so maybe the rules have changed, or maybe the requirement is available to use but not applied at present, or it only applies to some nationalities.

So, I would like to get multiple replies form different people... then perhaps we can work out what is happening.

While on this general subject: it would be good if any people who have experiences in what occurs in visa applications, different from what we describe in here, can they please post them so we can try to keep up the the changes that occur and the variations in different offices. Thanks to all who help :)
Jun 20, 2009 03:25
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
As far as I know, foreigners applying for Z, X visas of China do need to provide a physical examination proof if they will stay in China fore more than 6 months.
Jun 21, 2009 20:35
  • JIM_BRANTLEY
Hello, APAULT,

I have read many of your post since I joined this site recently. You certainly seem to have wealth of good information about China. I am going to enter the wondeful world of semi-retirement this year. I have spent the last few decades teaching Business English, and conducting seminars / presentations on Western Culture, Business Practices, Conflict Resolution ( as it applies to cross-cultural communications and business ventures) and a variety of other topics designed to reduce culture shock for non-Americans wishing to live, or do business, in our Western Culture. I would appreciate your guidence during my transition. If there is anything I should know and you have the time to tell me about, please do so. Thank you for your time and effort on this...dinner is on me.

Thank you for posting. I wish you continued good fortune during you stay in China.

Jim

Jim
Jun 22, 2009 02:20
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Apault,

When I first applied for a Chinese visa in England in February 2005, I had to have the physical exam in order to get my Z visa - which was very annoying because in England we don't have special medical centres set up to deal with this, so it meant many trips to different hospitals and doctors, and took ages.

When I applied for my Z visa in England in August 2008, you did not need the physical exam to get the visa: I got the exam done in China when I arrived in September 2008.

I've just renewed my visa in China for another year via my university. I will need to take another physical exam when my current one, valid for one year, expires in September.

Appreciate this isn't especially helpful, but it's my experience.

LC

NB: #2's answer is beside the point. We are not discussing whether or not you need a medical... but whether or not you need the medical as part of the documentation in order to obtain the visa.
Last edited by LEMONCACTUS: Jun 22, 2009 02:21
Jun 22, 2009 10:58
  • JABAROOTOO
My experience during six years

2003 I, like Lemoncactus went to the trouble and expense of having a complete medical done at home before leaving for China. It was not required for the initial issue of the Z visa in Australia but a Medical Examination was required to be issued with a Permanent Resident's Permit after arrival. Our Aids test results a very discrete and I could not use my results here in China because they don't actually say I had an Aid's test so I had to submit to a blood test and an x-ray that first year.

It was winter when I arrived from my warm summer and the Entry Exit Clinic in Chongqing was a bit of a shock. It has since been overhauled and is not so nearly as harrowing an experience as the first time, although I fainted after loosing a lot of blood all over the floor on my last visit.

2004 Changed jobs or 'Work Unit'
Repeat of the above submitting to complete test in China

2005 Changed job or 'Work Unit'
Repeat of second procedure

2006 Changed job or 'Work Unit'
Repeat of the above but this year the Clinic was vastly improved and I arrived in summer this year.

2007 Continued contract with same employer
Renewed Residency Permit for second year NO MEDICAL

2008 Applied for Study
Returned on Student X Visa
Repeat of previous medical procedure where I almost fainted after dripping blood all over the floor.

Unless I apply to continue my study I will most likely have to repeat the procedure yet again.

I have friends who have the luxury of being in the same job for five years and have only had the medical on the first application. NEVER since although they are traveling to and from home and could have contracted some contagious disease.

Me thinks this is a wonderful 'Cash Cow' for authorities...........

Jun 24, 2009 05:30
  • VISAOFCHINA
Is that happens in other countries like this?
Dec 1, 2009 09:18
  • ENFEMIA

Do you still have contacts, recruiters, for foreign teachers in China? In particular, English conversational teachers, who do not speak Mandarin. My grandson is currently in China under contract, but the terms of the contract are not being met, and have created an intolerable situation. I fear the contract will be voided within the next few days either by him or the school.

The major hurdle is knowing whether the work visa becomes nullified when terminating his contract. i"m in the process of trying to find an answer to this question.

Thank you.

My email: umspa@msn,com

Anne Adamiak
Nov 21, 2010 20:46
GUEST13874 Sure,if want to apply a Z visa ,you need health check!
Nov 23, 2010 17:42
  • APAULT
The last reply is INCORRECT. You do not need a health/physical check in order to get the visa. You get this done after you arrive as part of the process of getting your Temporary Residence Permit. If you are pressured to complete the form, just do the first half where you make declarations about your health, not the second part which can only be done by a doctor.
Jan 20, 2011 17:56
GUEST41174 I have just gotten off the phone with Alex from the Chinese consulate in Brisbane, he has told me that I do need to undertake a physical examination in order to get a work (z) visa.

This might just be from Australia but I doubt it.
Mar 15, 2011 12:32
GUEST65226 I just submitted my medical physical documents from here in the USA to China employer and would like the status of how far I am in the process so I can plan on purchasing my airline ticket and start working. The employer and I have only been communicating via email, and they haven't told me the process and how long it takes. Without seeming overly anxious and pushy, would it be alright if I called them personally. The HR manager told me to contact him anytime if I had questions regarding the whole hiring process.

Thanks,
Aaron
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Physical examination (medical) required for Z, X visas?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code