Menu
Shenzhen guidebooks?
Jun 23, 2009 19:21
  • DEPARDIEUX
Hello,

My wife and children are going to live in Shenzhen starting from September 2009. Is there a good Shenzhen guidebook that we can purchase?

Thank you.
FD
Jun 23, 2009 20:26
  • VICTORMAI
You mean map? or guidebook for living, such as food, entertainment,shops ?etc. You can ask the bookshop for any information about SZ, or search it on the website.
Take it easy, living in SZ is not so difficult.
Jun 23, 2009 20:57
  • DEPARDIEUX
Hello Franck,

Lonely Writers Publishing publishes Shenzhen guidebooks: http://www.lonelywriters.com

Cheers.
Jun 24, 2009 05:45
  • WANHU
Shenzhen is not that small. First find out the district you will be living in then you browse the websites. It may help.
Wan
Jun 26, 2009 10:48
  • DEPARDIEUX
Hello There,

I checked out their website. If the Hong Kong Standard put them on the paper, I thought it must not be too bad: http://www.lonelywriters.com/?p=136

Anyway, we couldn't wait. My wife wanted to know what Shenzhen was like, she's worried about the kids; she said that if expats wrote a couple of guidebooks about it, the city couldn't be that bad. I then placed an order from store.lonelywriters.com and got both books the following day, via EMS.

The work is good, there are lot of info on many areas, such as children, business, arts, transportation, history (yeah, Shenzhen's got some), buying of property, visas, health, learning Chinese, shopping, restaurants, etc. Both books account for more than 500 pages with plenty of English maps!

The children section is pretty big and comprehensive. My wife's happy :-) Very handy.

I also called Shenzhen Daily the other day, they said that they don't sell "Living in Shenzhen", they only sold "Shopping in Shenzhen" last year, but they ran out of stock now. They also said that "Shopping in Shenzhen" was a pretty big success in Shenzhen; numerous restaurants had them on their tables and hotels carried it in they guestrooms. Shenzhen Daily redirected me to store.lonelywriters.com (they were partners with Lonely Writers before, which is kind of cool :-) .)

Overall, both my wife and I are very impressed with the work that these expats have done. It's even better than what you could find i a traditional guide, as it's about living in Shenzhen, not only traveling.

I'm going to talk to the Lonely Writers to see if i can get some refund for advertising :-)

Cheers!
FD
Sep 3, 2009 19:44
GUEST17858 Hi there, is there anyone that could post a review of the Shenzhen guidebooks at http://www.lonelywriters.com ?

Appreciate your help.
Giorgio
Sep 9, 2009 10:15
  • SZCITY
Hello, I am in SHENZHEN, if you have any questions, pls feel free contact me, i will try my best to help you.
Post a Reply to: Shenzhen guidebooks?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code