Menu
What about Guilin?
Feb 20, 2005 12:38
  • AIQIU222
Hi, I'm currently planning a trip around some of China.

I was wondering what people thought of Guilin, I've heard about how beautiful Guanxi province is and Guilin in particular, but also that its very polluted and an expensive tourist place.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the area that's as beautiful but perhaps less famous? Should I go to both Guilin and Yangshuo?

I'd appreciate any help.

Aiqiu
Feb 20, 2005 16:58
  • ELCABRON
Hi AIQIU,

Guilin is certainly overvalued. It is better to go to Yangshuo - it is much smaller but there are also many tourists. Busses leave from the right side of the trainstation.
You can rent a bike for 10 Kuai a day (maybe more in peak season) and take a ride through the beuatiful countryside. Explore the Karts Mountains by yourself, small villages little branches of the Li River.
I took a bamboo raft to float down the Jinbao - everything quiet, no "Hellooooo!" shouting....
The same with big Li River cruises, you can choose between big ships and small boats for only 6 people. I prefered the last one.

Another nice thing are the small mountain villages of minority tribes in the area of Longshen. One hour from Yangshuo, half an hour from Guilin as far as I remember. People keep their cultural roots alive despite tourism. Only houses in their traditional wood style and people dress in their red Yao style. The rice terraces are amazing.
Give it a try, it is worth it.

Feb 20, 2005 17:45
  • YCATSOLONG
Yangshuo is definately the place to go. I wouldn't stay that long in Guilin as the prices are a little high, although my girlfriend and I found a place for 40 yuan a night. There are lots of really nice places to stay in Yangshuo, we found a cheap place for 50 yuan complete with own bathroom, 2 beds, TV and airconditioning. Hunt around there are lots of hotels. Also if you like rock climbing there is lots available. Wouldn't recomend the " Butterfly Cave" I think the whole thing is a fake cave cut by the Chinese. But the "only real" water cave is quite good. Take warm clothes if you are going in winter, as it can get a little cold.
Have fun!!
Feb 20, 2005 20:33
  • AIQIU222
Fantastic, thanks guys, that's just what I needed to know. Excellent tips. Yangshuo it is then!

I'm definitely going to try and get out and visit the Longshen area. Impressive photo by the way.

Sounds like you know how to pick the rooms Ycats, hopefully I'll be as lucky.

Thanks again.

Post a Reply to: What about Guilin?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code