Menu
Top 10 English Songs favored by Chinese
Jul 24, 2012 23:12
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Sunnydream, when you listen to the oldies like the Seekers, Cliff Richard, The Carpenters, etc. they have better lyrics than the contemporary ones today. My first song during learning language was Constantly by Cliff Richard. But then I was too young to understand fully.
Wan

Wan,

I am just familiar with Carpenters. Yesterday Once More is my favorite. It is a pity that Karen passed away so young. Anther one is WhAM. My high school English teacher played their "Careless Whisper" in his class. Then he explained the lyrics and taught us some differences between British English and American English.
Jul 31, 2012 06:58
  • WANHU
Learning English through songs is quite interesting. When I was working with the Ministry of Rural Development under Community Development Department, we have about 15000 contract employees who couldn't communicate well in English. I introduced a training programme called BSE (better spoken English) where my nephew and three of his friends who were English major graduates helped me with the training.
Wan
Jul 31, 2012 22:55
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan,

It is good to learn spoken English via listening to songs and watching movies. But we have to read newspapers, novels and essays to improve our written English. Do you agree?
Aug 1, 2012 21:32
  • WANHU
It depends, dear Sunnydream. For front desk workers, they don't really need to art of writing but rather how to communicate verbally with their customers. They need new vocab and reading does help. Listening to songs or watching movies helps in our listening skills, but there are other skills to consider too. By listening alone we know we can't present good papers.
Wan
Aug 6, 2012 02:07
  • SUNNYDREAM
Wan,

Listening to songs or watching movies is a good way to improve our listening and speaking skills.
Aug 7, 2012 02:59
  • WANHU
Also try to listen to some native and non native speakers. Some native speakers may have accents.
Wan
Aug 8, 2012 22:14
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

Also try to listen to some native and non native speakers. Some native speakers may have accents.
Wan

Non-native speakers also have accents. Honestly, I can not understand Indian English. Japanese and Korean people speak weird English too. The authentic British accent is hard to understand too.
Aug 11, 2012 18:45
GUEST17115
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNNYDREAM

Non-native speakers also have accents. Honestly, I can not understand Indian English. Japanese and Korean people speak weird English too. The authentic British accent is hard to understand too.

An old saying:
The difference between England and USA...is the language.
Aug 12, 2012 03:21
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST17115

An old saying:
The difference between England and USA...is the language.

Exactly, I once read that British people don't think the language American people speak is English. To them, what they speak is English and it is unique.
Apr 4, 2013 18:59
GUEST20784 Because the way people speak in america is very different to the way they speak in england, they have different words for the same thing.
For example:
'pants' in english would mean underwear.
but 'pants' in america means trousers.

American and English use the same words but pronounce them differently and some have different meanings. It is difficult to understand the difference unless you are born in england.
Similar to how chinese people speak mandarin slightly differently depending on if they are from north or south china.
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Top 10 English Songs favored by Chinese
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code