Menu
Where to get good tea during my trip?
Jul 22, 2009 09:27
  • RUSSEL
Hi,

In september I will be going to China with my wife. When I visit my friend's parents I always drink Chinese tea with him.
We drink tea in the Taiwanese style? One pot withe little cups. I told him I want to buy a set when visiting China. He told me to be careful because I'm green behind my ears, he couldn't give me any tips since his was a gift.
So my question is, where is the best place to buy a tea set and some tea. I like to buy all kind of tea, preferably good quality. My budget for a tea set is around 100 US dollars.
So far our travel schedule will be like this:
- Beijing
- Xian
- Guilin
- Nanning
- Hainan

Any recommendations in which city to buy it? Preferably with name and address of the shop :)

Thanx.
Jul 22, 2009 11:11
GUEST24448 haha, too bad, if u come over to Guangzhou, I might be able to bring you to the right place to buy good quality teas with reasonable prices and the tea sets. plus teach u how to judge, distinguish

but anyway, here is the suggestion & general rule that may help u:

1. Beijing "Ma Lian Dao" Tea City(马连道茶城)would be a good place to shop teas & teawares

2. deside beforehand which types of tea you would like to shop; Green, Yellow, White, Black, Pu'er, Oolongs & the budge for half a kilo(500gram). Oolongs & Pu'er are the ones that can be brewed in Taiwanese way or kungfu tea way

3. taste or sample the teas to make up ur mind, generally, u would not taste any bitter or astringency from the liquor and the liquor should be translucent if the teas are good in quality & brewed in the right way.

4. haha, always remember to haggle over the price, dont be too shy & weak on it, as the sellers always quote the high price for you to bargain

5. regarding the tea sets, 1 tea pot (cheap Yixing purple clay pot) for around 100-200rmb, tea tray (normal) for 80-150rmb, little tea cup (cheap) for 2 - 5 rmb
public cup (cheap) 5-10 rmb, stainless steel filler (cheap) for 2- 4 rmb..and other sets for 35rmb~~~~ just the general guide~~~

if u have any other question, just feel free to contact me at hotmail.com|lovelyxiang

Jul 22, 2009 12:03
  • DENNISLEE
haha, If you come over to Guangzhou, I might be able to take you to the right place to shop good quality teas and teawares, and teach u to judge, distinguish

but anyway, here is the suggestion & general rules that may help u:

1. "Ma Lian Dao" Tea City (马连道) in Beijing should be a good place to shop teas & teawares. Every taxi driver would know that place.haha

2. Deside beforehand which types of tea you would like to shop; Green, Yellow, White, Pu'er, Black, Oolongs and the bugdet for half a kilo (500gram), Oolongs & Pu'er are best for brewing in Taiwanese way (KungFu Tea in chinese).

3. taste or sample the teas in order to make up your mind, generally (may have an exception), you would not taste any bitter, astringency or acid from the liquor and the liquor should be translucent if the teas are good in quality and brewed in the right way.

ps: dont judge the teas by price but by taste~~~ u may find a tea with good taste selling at a low price & a tea with bad taste selling at a high price.

4. always remember to haggle over the price, dont be shy & weak on it, as the sellers always bring up the price for you to bargain, so sick but have no idea, try ur best

5. as for the tea sets, tea pot (cheap Yixing purple clay pot) for 100-200rmb, tea tray (cheap) for 80-150rmb, tea cup (cheap) for 2-5 rmb, public cup (cheap) for 5-10rmb, stainless steel tea filler for 2rmb, and the rest of the sets for 35-50 rmb.

6. there are other options, u can also shop at local tea chain stores such as Wu Yu Tai (吴裕泰),Zhang Yi Yuan (张一元),Tian Fu Ming Cha (天福茗茶), they are a bit more standard, but a bit expensive. but good for jackeroo.

if u have any other concerns, pls e-mail me at hotmail.com|lovelyxiang or post them here~~~
Last edited by DENNISLEE: Jul 22, 2009 12:46
Jul 22, 2009 20:39
  • DENNISLEE
pls focus on my second reply
Jul 24, 2009 01:44
  • RUSSEL
Thanks for ur reply Dennis.
You stated to buy cheap Yixing purple clay pot for 100-200rmb. Which quality is better? I don't mind spending 500 to 1000 RMB for a pot since I will be using it for a long time.
Jul 24, 2009 05:22
  • BABYHARE
Since you drink tea in the Taiwanese style, then maybe you will like the Tie Guan Yin tea. The best place to buy Tie Guan Yin is Anxi, Fujian.

Jul 24, 2009 09:25
  • DENNISLEE
haha, you might want to use it for a long time, but accident happens~~~just kidding

let's talk about the functions and characteristics of Yixing purple clay pot first (only applies to good quality pot)

1. a nice pot is a bueaty, it would most likely delight you and make your day,,and of course, good mood would end up longivity. haha, it is just my personal feeling~

2. it can strengthen the tea taste, even thought the tea is in a normal grade (the taste of bad tea can never be strengthened)

3. holding your good quality Yixing tea pot just like holding a promising blue-chip stock, with the increasing number of times being used, its value would likely to go up!

4. if ur budget for the pot goes to 1000rmb~~~then fine, I would suggest u to shop at tea train stores mentioned above, at lease,, they might less likely sell the pot which is worth 100rmb for 500rmb because of ur foreign identity. just choose the one you like (color, sculpt, size ect.) and ask them to quote.

by the way, u can shop every kind of teas everywhere, even though you are not in the famous tea cultivation places...

Tie Guan Yin is one of the variety of Oolongs, its flowery & fruity aroma, flesh & sweet aftertaste, yellow greenish translucent liquor attract everybody~~~~including me
Last edited by DENNISLEE: Jul 24, 2009 10:18
Jul 25, 2009 02:17
  • YINA
Hi, i think guilin might be a good place to buy tea
Jul 28, 2009 09:01
  • DENNISLEE
Guilin would be a good place to enjoy Kungfu tea : - )
Jul 29, 2009 09:39
  • FAERIEQUEENE
A word on selection of Yixing teaware, quality is one thing; it's best to look beforehand at the artistic styles available and be prepared to look for your favourites in your shopping experience

eg here are some recurrent motifs:

http://yixing-teapots.net/yixing-teapots.htm

Good luck and enjoy (and be wise when shopping in china)!
Jul 30, 2009 07:31
  • RUSSEL
Quote:

Originally Posted by FAERIEQUEENE View Post

A word on selection of Yixing teaware, quality is one thing; it's best to look beforehand at the artistic styles available and be prepared to look for your favourites in your shopping experience

eg here are some recurrent motifs:

http://yixing-teapots.net/yixing-teapots.htm

Good luck and enjoy (and be wise when shopping ...

Great site! Thanx.
My wife just bought me some tea in Schezuan, she told me it was from a new crops, thus buying 3 getting 4.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Where to get good tea during my trip?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code