Menu
Why does Obama present Basketball as gift to China?
Aug 5, 2009 20:58
  • SHESGOTTOBE
People just tend to overanalyze things.

Obama loves basketball. In fact, he played in the college team when he was in Harvard if I remember it right. He even plays it a lot even when he's already in the White House.

In America, a basketball that is signed by famous and highly paid basketball players such as Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are collectible items and can be very expensive, can cost thousands of $, in a few decades, they might even cost millions. Maybe he also signed this particular basketball.

Also, basketball is a sports that require a lot of team playing. It can symbolize US & China working as a team.
Last edited by SHESGOTTOBE: Aug 5, 2009 20:59
Aug 5, 2009 22:49
  • LEONARDO
GUESTUFO and Jimmyb, you gave me a hint. Right, Henry Kissinger ever presented one gram of lunar soil as gift to China, indicating that USA is superior in science and technology.Well,Chinese leader presented a painting of Chang’e Flying to the Moon(嫦娥奔月) to make light of U.S in a humourous way.

Aug 5, 2009 23:06
  • LEONARDO
Chang’e Flying to the Moon is a household name in China. The ancient myth goes that Chang’e, a fairy, who took a magic potion that endowed her with the power to fly to the moon.
China presented the painting to Henry Kissinger, implying humorously that Chinese people has landed the moon in ancient times and the dreams of Flying to the moon has deep roots in Chinese culture. It is interesting to probe into the underlying tone of the national gifts.

Aug 6, 2009 20:11
  • LARRYBOY
You are right SheG2B some people think too much like getting a fortune cookie to see the hidden message inside.
Oct 20, 2009 08:27
GUEST23884 Obama is definitely a basketball fan and basketball is one of America's own sports.

It is also the most popular American sport (if not the only one) in China. The Chinese are also probably some of the biggest basketball fans outside the US.

I think its a symbol of common interests. Though the are many things that the Chinese do not like about America, basketball isn't one of them. I think it is to remind China that there are still things that the Chinese like about America, and in this case maybe more than any other country. Even though its something as simple and even as shallow as a game, we should build on our similarities and not our differences.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it but its a thought.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why does Obama present Basketball as gift to China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code