Menu
Asian women marry western men for fatherly love?
Aug 24, 2009 03:18
  • LEONARDO
An American magazine Marie Claire published an article “The New Trophy Wives: Asian Women”, commenting on the phenomenon that many powferful men marry younger Asian women. The article attributes the popular marriage between the West’s most powerful men and younger Asian women to the Woody Allen Effect (Asian women desires for fatherly love). The article contains controversial viewpoints and has triggered sizzling controversy among Asians’ community. Some say the article is offensive to Asian women. The article quoted several examples: media Baron Rupert Murdoch marrying Wendi Deng, CBS head Leslie Moonves tieing knots with Julie Chen, Nicolas Cage’s marriage with half-his-age wife Alice Kim, Vivi Nevo courting Chinese actress Ziyi Zhang. One common thing among these couples is “the large age gap”. The author is trying to explore the reasons why these western tycoons favor Asian women. The author even questions if the western tycoons have the unnerving “Yellow Fever”. I find the article is amusing and the author has some points. What do you guys think about the phenomenon of “marriage between western older bigtwigs and younger Chinese women”? Do you think if Asian women marry western men for the sake of Daddy’s Love Complex?

The below is an excerpt of the article:
(Read the full article: http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/advice/tips/asian-trophy-wife )

《The New Trophy Wives: Asian Women》
Rupert Murdoch has one. So do financiers Vivi Nevo and Bruce Wasserstein. Why are the West's most powerful men coupling up with younger Asian women?

By Ying Chu
Call it the Woody Allen Effect. When the venerable director scandalously left Mia Farrow for her adopted daughter, South Korean-born Soon-Yi Previn — 35 years his junior — he may as well have sent out a press release: Asian-girl fantasy trumps that of Hollywood royalty!

Not two years after they tied the knot, media baron Rupert Murdoch walked down the aisle with fresh-faced Wendi Deng — 17 days after finalizing his divorce from his second wife. Then, CBS head Leslie Moonves wed TV news anchor Julie Chen; Oscar winner Nicolas Cage married half-his-age third wife Alice Kim; billionaire George Soros coupled up with violinist Jennifer Chun; and producer Brian Grazer courted concert pianist Chau-Giang Thi Nguyen. Add the nuptials of investment magnate Bruce Wasserstein to fourth wife Angela Chao and the pending vows between venture capitalist Vivi Nevo and Chinese actress Ziyi Zhang, and we've got a curious cultural ripple.

(Photo: Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn)

Aug 24, 2009 03:20
  • LEONARDO
Continued:

Were these tycoons consciously courting Asian babes? Do any of them qualify for the unnerving "yellow fever" or "rice king" moniker? It's unsavory to think so. But after two or three failed attempts at domestic bliss with women of like background and age, these heavy hitters sought out something different. Something they had likely fetishized.

Enter the doll-faced Asian sylph on the arm of a silver-haired Western suit. (Hello, mail-order bride!) The excruciating colonial stereotypes — Asian women as submissive, domestic, hypersexual — are obviously nothing new. But decades after The World of Suzie Wong hit drive-ins and more than 20 years since David Bowie's "China Girl" topped the music charts, why are we still indulging them?

Because they're omnipresent — and often entertaining. Even now, how many cinematic greats, literary best sellers, or even cell-phone ads (see Motorola's latest) characterize Asian women as something other than geishas, ninjas, or dragon ladies? As the object of opening-line zingers like "Me love you long time" (the infamous line from Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket), I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at the cheeky blog stuffwhitepeoplelike.com, which ranks Asian girls at number 11 because "Asian women avoid key white women characteristics, such as having a midlife crisis, divorce, and hobbies that don't involve taking care of the children." Sure, I'm petite and was in fact born in Shanghai, but — to the shock of more than one guy I've gone out with — I'd rather down an icy beer and burger than nurse bubble tea and eat dumplings while massaging his back with my toes.》

"This is a common experience among Asian-American women," says Bich Minh Nguyen, who broaches the stereotypes in her latest novel, Short Girls. "They're dating a white guy, and they may not know if it's a fetish thing."

"It's like a curse that Asian-American women can't avoid," says C.N. Le, director of Asian and Asian-American Studies at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. "From an academic point of view, the perception still serves as a motivation for white men."

In researching his new book, The East, the West, and Sex, author Richard Bernstein found that the Orientalist illusion continues to influence. "Historically, Asia provided certain sexual opportunities that would be much more difficult for Western men to have at home. But it remains a happy hunting ground for them today," he says, citing one phenomenon in the northeastern region of Thailand called Issan, where 15 percent of marriages are between young Thai women and Western men well into their 60s.
Aug 26, 2009 01:42
GUEST2784 Look at those western guys, They got tired of their western women whose feminity lessened by the Feminism Movement. These tycoons failed in love with western women. They head for the East to court Asian women. Asian women are more feminine and thoughtful. All men, whether from Asia or the West, need women to take care of. Western women are more concentrated on their career. Asian women are more dedicated to taking of their husbands and family.
Aug 29, 2009 22:43
  • LARRYBOY
Well said Guest2784, I have heard that from many people (Asian) that there is a seriousness to family and marriage. Its refreshing to see old country values in these modern times. LB
Sep 2, 2009 00:28
GUEST41291 go to UCLA, USC, Harvard, Stanford and any other 'Medical School' sometime and then let me know if the 99% Asians graduating from these fine schools (few white grads in the last few years) are going to be 'Taking Care' of their WHITE SPOUSE? Ha! Few get married. And anyone who writes about 'submisive asian's HAS NEVER LIVED WITH AN ASIAN WOMAN'. Unless you go to China, Japan or Thailand and BUY ONE. One that has no toilet, all dirt floors and will do ANYTHING, including marrying and having sex with a 90 year old, if it means a GREEN CARD, A FEW DOLLARS TO SPEND, A CAR, HOME, AND FOOD DAILY. Throw in some water! Walla, you got your 'Submissive Wife'. ha! You guys!!!! Idiots.....I have an EX-friend who went to Thailand and found a 26 year old POOR GIRL. He is almost 60. Divorced from an alcoholic. He is Republican (Family Values??) and I am disgusted by what I am seeing! Makes no sense. Plenty of women of ALL nationalities in America. The GOP can't find good, nice, gentle, FEMININE women, who submit 'sometime's - hey, maybe 3 times a week?' lol Rgith here in the good Ol' USA! 300 Million strong. We are now going to 'Poor Countries' to find 'submissive Asian women. My god! Signed, disgusted.
Sep 2, 2009 18:16
  • LARRYBOY
Hey guest did you have a bad experience with an Asian girl for you to trash them all??? Sorry you feel the way you do. USA is not the only country seeking an alternative to relationships or love. Keep trying "Guest" and dont get so disgusted. Dont be so selfish either,in your relationship it is not about YOU!! Your spewing of your words are laced with racial overtones and degradation. So get down off that high chair you are sitting on before you hurt yourself and turn off your daddys computer, before he finds out what you are doing. Eat and sleep well enjoy all your conveniences at home that you have. Put the toilet seat down after you flush it,, for your woman...if you are able to keep one with that hateful attitude. Go to someplace nice and relax and stay away from the colleges, it does you no good. Sleep well!!
Sep 3, 2009 02:07
GUEST26193
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST41291 View Post

go to UCLA, USC, Harvard, Stanford and any other 'Medical School' sometime and then let me know if the 99% Asians graduating from these fine schools (few white grads in the last few years) are going to be 'Taking Care' of their WHITE SPOUSE? Ha! Few get married. And anyone who writes about 'submisive asian's HAS NEVER LIVED WITH AN ASIAN WOMA...

Well Said
Sep 3, 2009 06:01
  • LARRYBOY
Sorry my mistake, I did not realize "all" the Asians in this country have migrated and settled at the above mentioned universities, (young and old alike). Thank God for percentages, polls and statistics and not looking further than that!! Who needs deeper research when one can just hear what he or she wants to and stop and be satisfied. Good job! Well said
Sep 9, 2009 07:08
  • RACHELCAI
As a member of so called "submisive asian women", i think it's better for me to keep slient. and i doubt most of the postings are from men.
correct me, if i am wrong
Sep 10, 2009 19:02
  • LARRYBOY
Rachel, you are a part of the community you have just as much right to speak as everyone else.
Oct 13, 2009 16:29
It seems that western women have developed a culture among themselvs that makes them unappealing in terms of attraction. The wierd thing is that they don't seem to realize this. I hear them talk as if it is the man who is at fault. Asian women tend to monitor their own behavior better. They seem to look more inwardly if they see a problem in the relationship. With western women it always seems to be the mans fault. I find this kind of arrogant irresponsability to be unattractive.

Pride cometh before a fall.
Page 1 of 11    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Asian women marry western men for fatherly love?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code