Menu
What can I do for wedding?
Sep 13, 2009 04:43
  • DAVEC
My plan is to get married in China next year after the New Year celebrations.
I will have my papers ready and will get married in my ladies hometown in Hubei.
I understand the process is really formal and just a few signatures, nothing romantic and after we will have her friends and family come to a banquet.
Later we will go back to Guangdong and have another big meal where I can invite my Chinese friends and eventually we will have another ceremony back here in UK.

What I want to ask is there anything else I can do in China? what is traditional? it all seems so quick and unromantic to me and as I will only ever marry once I want it to be memorable for us both.
Sep 13, 2009 05:29
  • VICTORMAI
Nothing special, your wife will know how to handle it. You just prepare the fare for everything and prepare your stomach for drinking and drinking when others propose a toast.
Sep 13, 2009 08:42
  • DAVEC
Thats another issue, I am allergic to alcohol, I cant drink. Her family are aware of this
Sep 13, 2009 12:08
GUEST11050 Hi Super Dave! That is not a valid excuse. I have not heard of a true (type I) allergic reaction to ethanol. I shall send a protocol to your fiancée to desensitize you in no time. You may adopt a moderate approach to alcohol consumption. Alcohol allergy does not cut it, because it does not exit. Congratulations!! Enjoy the journey ahead. Mutual respect will be the theme of your journey which may also require lot patience.
Gee Kam Chung

Sep 14, 2009 00:45
  • DAVEC
Trust me, I am allergic, if any alcohol touches the inside of my mouth I go into severe reaction, my throat swells and I lose the ability to breath. I carry epipens to help but the last time it happened it was so severe I had to rely on others to help me out.
My doctor agrees if it happens again and I am not near my epipen and a hospital I am dead.
Sep 14, 2009 00:49
  • DAVEC
Oh, I forgot, last time I was in hospital briefly and had breathing difficulties for 2 months, just because I had 1 bite of seafood cooked in white wine. So I think drinking will definately not be on my priority list.
Sep 15, 2009 12:24
Bloody hell Dave, I knew you were allergic to alcohol but not that bad, I think Dodger and me had better do the drinking for you.
As for the wedding I left it to the wife to arrange in our case.

Alan
Sep 15, 2009 15:37
  • GAFFER
Dave,
The actual wedding is not a big thing in China, simply a legal formality. Some have a religeous ceremony after the office job if they are religeous. The important part is the celebration/dinner/party. Here the red envelopes are handed out :) Alcohol plays a big part in most Chinese celebrations but I'm sure the bride will make sure everyone who needs to know will know about your situation. I would however keep a close eye on your glass, better still keep you hand over it. There is always a joker at every party who might not realise the seriousness of your condition.

I hope you are practising some arms length camerawork for the photos ;)
Sep 15, 2009 19:25
  • DODGER
Dave, congratulations from the Dodger clan on the news.
My Wife wanted a Mongolian wedding so she made all of the arrangements including the travel herself. All I had to do was just turn up.
It was great fun and relatively dry, which surprised me.
I had to give a speech, which caught me out a little so start writing one now. They will expect a long one.
Gaffer’s right, the registry office type wedding is very cold and formal, and quite anti climatic in a strange way.
Yes, look after your class; you would want to come round finding Alan giving you the kiss of life!
Cheers, Dodger.
Sep 16, 2009 00:57
  • DAVEC
I have heard a little about a speech, I presume as all her family cant speak 1 word of English I will have to do it in Chinese.
Sep 16, 2009 03:03
  • DODGER
class should read, Glass.
Dodger.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What can I do for wedding?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code