Menu
Ordinary Chinese celebrate the 60th Foundling Anniversary of P.R.C
Sep 28, 2009 18:48
  • MARRIE
Canadaguy, this is national birthday of PRC. Hope Canada media will catch up with what has happened in today's China.
Sep 29, 2009 12:23
  • CANADAGUY
Yes Marrie, it is certainly a national celebration!

As Cherry pointed out at the very beginning of her original post, the Military Parade at the Tian'anmen Square is the most anticipated event of the celebration.

The news report that I read explained how all the hotels along the main road leading up to Tian'anmen Square had its rooms booked by the communist party. It seems that it will be impossible for the average person in Beijing to come, in person, to celebrate the Military Parade at the Tian'anmen Square.

Is this a strange thing? Of course people around the country will be able to watch it on TV.
But what about the millions of people living in Beijing? Will they be able to attend in person to see it?

Oct 4, 2009 03:58
  • DODGER
CG, I did find it just a little strange that you could hold a huge military parade and not have any guests.
I live just a couple of K’s from the square
It was ticket holders only .No one was aloud anywhere near the place.
Dodger.

Oct 5, 2009 22:54
  • CANADAGUY
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER

CG, I did find it just a little strange that you could hold a huge military parade and not have any guests.
I live just a couple of K’s from the square
It was ticket holders only .No one was aloud anywhere near the place.
Dodger.

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm glad I got some first hand confirmation about this from someone in Beijing.

Not many people on this board seem willing to talk about something as innocent as this.

Their approach to the military parade seems to be part and parcel of the party's general paranoia.
They went to great lengths to make sure there couldn't be any public dissension.

As you said, very strange to throw and party and not invite any guests.

Oct 6, 2009 05:06
  • DODGER
CG, as said, I watched this” made for TV extravaganza” with my Wife and pointed to the lack of huge crowds. She sate through the whole thing beaming with pride and shouting slogans.
I started taking the piss. My imitation goose step did not go down very well, and OK, the old hips aren’t what they used to be but I thought, considering the lack of practice I didn’t do a bad job.
Some people just seem to have no sense of humour.
I have been involved with a couple of “Trooping the colour” where you march down the Mall, and end up at Horse Guards and then having to wait for HRH and her old man to take the salute.
I just can’t imagine anyone trying to clear the streets of London.
Dodger
Oct 6, 2009 16:31
  • CANADAGUY
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER View Post

CG, as said, I watched this” made for TV extravaganza” with my Wife and pointed to the lack of huge crowds. She sate through the whole thing beaming with pride and shouting slogans.
...I have been involved with a couple of “Trooping the colour” where you march down the Mall, and end up at Horse Guards and then having to wait for HRH and her ol...

Right. Back in my neck of the woods we have yearly celebrations (Canada Day) and bigger bashes every 10 or 25 years to commemorate the country's birthday.

Somehow it just wouldn't be the same if the citizens were forced to watch the celebrations on their TV's in the country's capital, Ottawa.

I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of the Chinese military parade on Oct. 1 because it seemed quite repetitive.
Did they do more than parade the troops and military hardware?

On Canada Day we have many parades, mostly civilian, and many stages where all kinds of performances take place. Live dancing, music, acting, carnival-like atmosphere. It's fun to be there.

Oct 7, 2009 05:18
  • DODGER
Did they do more than parade the troops and military hardware?

On Canada Day we have many parades, mostly civilian, and many stages where all kinds of performances take place. Live dancing, music, acting, carnival-like atmosphere. It's fun to be there.
No CG, nothing like that at all.
But they did have a couple of hours of dancers and ethnic groups parading.
I did get invited to a big lunch the next day at an old Members compound and there were some toasts for a happy birth day but I think in the main it was a holiday get together.
One of the people there had been responsible for organizing the live TV feeds to the world. He looked a very relived and happy man.
Dodger.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Ordinary Chinese celebrate the 60th Foundling Anniversary of P.R.C
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code